The AMD "Radeon HD 8000" Open-Source Milestone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    I'm fairly blitzed at the moment so forgive if this is nonsenical, but what are the odds of having any of the 'closed" driver develprs also contirubing to the Open drivers too, even in mionr bug-fixing fashion? Not beign and insider I don't know how big a role "clean-room" concerns come into play with patents are licensed technology...
    It sounds like they'd be offering tech support/advice (e.g. "oh yeah, are you doing <reasonable-seeming thing>? That will hang the ASIC. We spent <number> days tracking that down on the simulator last week; we fixed it by <brief abstract description of workaround>") rather than contributing patches directly.

Comment

Yeah, it's about synergies in a more general form, not 'patches'. Makes sense.

Comment

quick question.
        tried ubuntu natty with the open source drivers lately.
        the compiz effects, when switching the desktop and stuff like that are jerky.
        is this ubuntu or the driver?
        (im on a mobilty hd4570)

Comment

Great! After this I hope that AMD will put some guy on CoreBoot.

Then everything will be great in Free Software Ville.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
            quick question.
            (im on a mobilty hd4570)
            It's your hardware (relatively weak) and the driver (relatively unoptimized). You'll find that the next version of Ubuntu will run much smoother (newer kernel + driver = win).

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
              The goal is to try and bring up the open and closed source drivers at the same time so that all of our hw and sw teams are on the same page and that specific hardware is fresh on everyone's mind. With the open source driver we have been on a delayed schedule playing catch up compared to the closed source and hw teams. As such, by the time we get to open source driver bring up, most of the other teams have already moved on to newer asics so the previous generation is not as fresh on their minds.
              Thanks for the explanation. However, I wonder how the development process looks like then. Of course you can now ask for help getting into it. But you can't implement the code in the same way due to legal concerns, AFAIK? Nowadays it's easier, you can just take a look into the CS source and see how it can't be implemented in the OS driver. BTW, this should be valid vice versa. Maybe I'm completely mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Great! After this I hope that AMD will put some guy on CoreBoot.

Then everything will be great in Free Software Ville.
                You are living in the past. AMD has more than one guy on CoreBoot, just read the news.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
                  You are living in the past. AMD has more than one guy on CoreBoot, just read the news.
                  More likely, he means that he'd like to see some AMD direct involvement in getting some real mainboards running on coreboot. The code is nice, but someone has to run with it and deal with the balance of the mainboard before a user can actually use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                    quick question.
                    (im on a mobilty hd4570)
                    I have ATI 3200, which I guess is much slower then Your card and i have realy smooth system interaction.Try change some compiz, maybe disable compiz V-Sync...

Comment

Start helping

From the new:
                      For now though there's still plenty to be done besides dreaming of the day of same-day open-source KMS and Gallium3D support. You can be supporting AMD with your hardware purchases and working on the open-source drivers yourself. Even if you're not an experienced developer, there's still valuable contributions to be made in terms of testing, documentation, etc. Ask on our forums if you're looking for ways to get involved.
                      I`m interested in this target, i`m embedded developer, and i usually make drivers for Linux (i did some net drivers), but i would like to improve my 3D/GPU drivers, how could i help? I see the learning curve a little bit high, but i would like to help in any way.
                      __
                      Methril
                      Rafael Campos Las Heras

Comment

Working...
                      X