Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    That's very interesting.
    A project that's going to be used in both KDE and Gnome.

Maybe one day Desktop Environment stuff will land in Linux Standards Base.
    Are you sure the Phonon is going to be used in Gnome? If yes, it will mean there are people in Gnome camp who want some cooperation, but it's hard to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Are you sure the Phonon is going to be used in Gnome? If yes, it will mean there are people in Gnome camp who want some cooperation, but it's hard to believe.
      I think plonoma was referring to zeitgeist, not phonon,

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        ...helpful post...
        Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Zeitgeist isn't a "Gnome"Project b/c it isn't part of the dependencies (of any sort IIRC) and it's not hosted on Gnome infrastructure. The devs of zeitgeist wanted to be part of gnome but didn't want to leave launchpad and the gnome "steering group" didn't see a use, at the time, for zeitgeist. I think the later has probably changed considering the interesting work that has been done with zeitgeist integration in the shell.
          As for the accusations that Gnome doesn't work cross-desktops I would say that there is a lot of selection bias going around. If someone who has worked extensively in Gnome can show consistent rejection of crossdesktop standards without good reason then I would agree there is something to it.
          Besides that, however, one needs to consider the differences of Gnome and KDE. Gnome is really a corporate desktop (lots of companies contribute to it) with Red Hat as the main one. It is very boring, easy to use, and simply office oriented. KDE is more hobbyist, IMHO, in that it is almost completely driven by people who just like to program hence why it is more experimental.
          GS is a massive change, but much less so than was originally planned (read the original design doc written a few years ago to see how little they've altered the vision). It SEEMS that there was a recognition that if this is really going to be the direction of Gnome and if this is to continue to be the primary corporate desktop then they simply can't implement some of the more radical ideas (like adaptive desktops -- frankly, though I think that would be pretty much the holy grail of desktops, I never saw how that could be implemented beyond some trivial things like reordering of icons, resizing of windows, etc. and those things would require the user to really relax and let the computer make the decisions which is really uncomfortable for non-mac users, IMHO).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            As for the accusations that Gnome doesn't work cross-desktops I would say that there is a lot of selection bias going around. If someone who has worked extensively in Gnome can show consistent rejection of crossdesktop standards without good reason then I would agree there is something to it.
            Quick, name all the stuff that has come from KDE that Gnome ended up adopting. Now do the same in reverse. One of those lists is a whole lot longer than the other.

It used to be that Gnome devs said they couldn't use anything written in C++. So KDE devs started building common libs in plain C, but they still didn't get accepted.

Comment

Someone mentioned that qt smartphones are now defunct. This isn't entirely true. While there's not a lot of hope for Nokia implementing it short of Windows phones flopping and it's current CEO fired for losing money, I believe that there's a Chinese phone maker that's been helping develop MeeGo and they are looking to use in some of their phones.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Quick, name all the stuff that has come from KDE that Gnome ended up adopting. Now do the same in reverse. One of those lists is a whole lot longer than the other.

It used to be that Gnome devs said they couldn't use anything written in C++. So KDE devs started building common libs in plain C, but they still didn't get accepted.
                Clearly a conspiracy...

Comment

Clearly a conspiracy...
                  I'd say the evidence speaks for itself. If you have any to counter it, I'm sure we'd all be happy to see it.

Comment

Clearly a conspiracy...
                    NIH or idiocy. Btw. what was the reason gnome folks switched confirmation buttons? I don't see any benefits in gnome being 'corporate'. Looking at gnome3 and gnome shell it seems to be rather hobby.

Comment

I never claimed to have evidence that said otherwise, only that Aaron doesn't follow gnome development to the point necessary to make claims about intentions. Even 4 or 5 incidents simply isn't enough to draw these conclusions. Intentionality is a hard thing to prove and it would require something more along the lines of what Jeff Waugh had recently done with his posts about the history of the whole indicator mess, but even that doesn't really say much about intentions in KDE.
                      I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone in this thread has been involved with any of these things, or has done the research to make up for it, enough to say anything about intentions.
                      If anyone wishes to provide complete timeline along with communications about all tech issues involving KDE and Gnome since '97 be my guest.
                      Personally, I think this is a waste of time and Aaron seems like a hothead, and him bringing this up shortly before the Summit suggests a lack of control. As was said in the comments of those posts of his, meetings in person don't as often turn into the counter-productive flamefests.
                      Hell, look what was managed a few months back in Europe when the major distros met and spoke about common "app store" API and infrastructure.

Comment

Working...
                      X