Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.6.38 and Sandy Bridge graphics is troublesome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.6.38 and Sandy Bridge graphics is troublesome.

So any distro I try that uses the 2.6.38 kernel (natty, Fedora15, Arch-Testing) seems to be unusable with any kind of 3d accelerated desktop on my i5-2500k. Opensuse 11.4 works fine since it uses 2.6.37, so does arch with 2.6.37. I'm kinda a newb, so I don't have a log or anything to post, but basically, X crashes as soon as I try any kind of mouse or keyboard input on a login manager (be it GDM or KDM). While everything works fine using 2.6.37 on arch,

I'm worried about not being able to run most new desktop distros when they are released in the coming month. Anyone know anything about a regression that could be causing this?

Thanks for Reading,
    -Mike

P.S. On arch I've tried is using intel's 2.14 driver and 2.14.901, mesa 7.10, and xorg-server 1.9.4 and 1.10, none of which made any difference.

Update

So now when I try installing Ubuntu Natty, instead of booting up into Unity 3d, it dumps me into the 2d desktop. I take it this means that sandy bridge video on Natty has been blacklisted. I'm just hypothesizing here, but maybe this means that Sandy Bridge won't work on Natty Narwhal "out of the box" like I've seen claimed?

Comment

Desktop effects don't work for me too: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...00K-Benchmarks
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Why don't override the blacklist and when it works report a bug in lauchpad?

Comment

Working...
        X