Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-End Sandy Bridge Graphics Performance

Phoronix: Low-End Sandy Bridge Graphics Performance

On Wednesday we published our first compute performance numbers for the Core i3 2100, Intel's lowest-end "Sandy Bridge" processor at this point. This ~$125 USD processor was a step-up from the previous generation Clarkdale CPUs (roughly the Core i3 530), but obviously the Core i5 2500K was still a great deal faster. How's the Sandy Bridge graphics performance though with this low-end CPU? That is the focus of today's tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

very nice . I'm keen to see some mobile i5/i7 benchmarks - especially how the IGP performs on the mobile chips. But from what I see it looks my next mandatory purchase will be a SNB laptop

@Michael: maybe you can get your hands on some SNB laptop anytime soon?

-- saski

Comment

Does anyone know if there are plans by Intel to make a very high-end CPU with on-chip graphics? Possibly even graphics with actually good performance (piggy-backing off of ample cache and clock rate of the main CPU)?

Or, is it the case that these CPU+GPU chips are always going to be on the low end?

I'm looking to get about the performance and feature set you'd expect from a Radeon HD5850, but with reduced power consumption. Desktop form factor preferred but could also look for a mobile version. Right now, it seems like, if you want to get the performance equivalent of a HD5850, you need to consume power that's comparable with that card. Nvidia doesn't fare any better; if anything, Fermi consumes more power per performance than ATI. And I'm not seeing these Intel numbers as competitive with ATI. Whether that is due to the hardware or the poor drivers, I don't know.

Comment

I imagine they're only going to be good enough solutions for the average Joe. Much like onboard sound, disk controllers, nics, etc I think intel is treating graphics the same way. Get a expansion card for the best performance.

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        Does anyone know if there are plans by Intel to make a very high-end CPU with on-chip graphics? Possibly even graphics with actually good performance (piggy-backing off of ample cache and clock rate of the main CPU)?

Or, is it the case that these CPU+GPU chips are always going to be on the low end?

I'm looking to get about the performance and feature set you'd expect from a Radeon HD5850, but with reduced power consumption. Desktop form factor preferred but could also look for a mobile version. Right now, it seems like, if you want to get the performance equivalent of a HD5850, you need to consume power that's comparable with that card. Nvidia doesn't fare any better; if anything, Fermi consumes more power per performance than ATI. And I'm not seeing these Intel numbers as competitive with ATI. Whether that is due to the hardware or the poor drivers, I don't know.

Comment

So what is the story on that Asus motherboard? Does it run windows ok? Has anyone had similar experiences with this board or did Michael just get a defective board?

Comment

Originally posted by micah161 View Post
            Has anyone had similar experiences with this board or did Michael just get a defective board?
            Intel's jesse Barnes has the same board and can reproduce the issue 100%, but has been unable to figure out the cause of the problem.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Intel's jesse Barnes has the same board and can reproduce the issue 100%, but has been unable to figure out the cause of the problem.
              Darn. That board has the feature set I wanted, but I don't want to have any complications.

Thanks for the article Michael - it was really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                I'm looking to get about the performance and feature set you'd expect from a Radeon HD5850, but with reduced power consumption. Desktop form factor preferred but could also look for a mobile version.
                This is impossible given today's technology.

Right now, it seems like, if you want to get the performance equivalent of a HD5850, you need to consume power that's comparable with that card.
                Exactly. Additionally, Intel simply doesn't have the hardware or software knowhow to match AMD and Nvidia in GPU performance. This may change in the future but I wouldn't bet on it (they've been promising competitive performance since their 7xx IGPs, 12 years ago).

Comment

P7H57D-V Evo

Does anyone know if Asus has released a sandy bridge successor to this MB?
                  I really love it and want to buy it's successor if it's available.

I imagine it'd be called something like the "P8H67D-V Evo".
                  Then again it could easily be called something else entirely.

I've searched the Asus site & Google...
                  But I've not seen any SB MB's quite as unique as the P7H57D-V Evo yet.

Thank-you.

Comment

Originally posted by micah161 View Post
                    So what is the story on that Asus motherboard? Does it run windows ok? Has anyone had similar experiences with this board or did Michael just get a defective board?
                    Here is my experience with an Asus motherboard: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...00K-Benchmarks
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X