No announcement yet.

Is MPlayer2 A Viable Fork Of MPlayer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed. Excellent work. using AUR package with SMPlayer svn.

Comment

All of these things are welcome changes, especially dynamically loading ffmpeg and removing gmplayer.

Comment

I seem to recall that the same guys who were the main driving force in the ffmpeg 'fork' also took over certain administrative parts of the mplayer project earlier. I can't help but wonder if mplayer2 is a fork by them or caused by them or non-related. I'll try digging up the blog posts were I read about this and see if I can get some sort of overview of what (if anything) is going on.

Comment

Wait, you can still build mplayer with gui support? And people USE it? What.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            offtopic
            "libass" is a pretty funny name btw
            liboobs is good too

Comment

Well, I don't like this fork very much because of these facts:

1) I've to use a statically linked ffmpeg (if using mplayer2-git), whereas I prefer to compile ffmpeg with my own options and dynamically link mplayer against shared ffmpeg.

2) Doesn't support vaapi, so it's useless for my Desktop with a HD4650AGP card. (I don't want to decode a 720p H264 video in a [email protected] using 100% of the CPU)

But other than that, I think the project can succeed.

Cheers

Comment

You can link against your system ffmpeg just fine. The mplayer2-build repository is just meant to provide a self-contained mplayer that doesn't have any special dependencies. You don't have to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                  You can link against your system ffmpeg just fine. The mplayer2-build repository is just meant to provide a self-contained mplayer that doesn't have any special dependencies. You don't have to use it.
                  Oh, I see!

How about compatibility with vaapi patches? Has anyone tried so far?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    First FFMpeg got forked, then MPlayer too.
                    Not really, this project is going for a long time already (I acompany this project for almost a year, it was called mplayer-git or mplayer-uau before). But the originai idea was to create patches that would be merged to upstream MPlayer. Almost no patch was merged and the changes are getting bigger and bigger, so time to fork.

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                    I seem to recall that the same guys who were the main driving force in the ffmpeg 'fork' also took over certain administrative parts of the mplayer project earlier. I can't help but wonder if mplayer2 is a fork by them or caused by them or non-related. I'll try digging up the blog posts were I read about this and see if I can get some sort of overview of what (if anything) is going on.
                    No, uau and verm (two of the main developers of this fork) are not involved with the recent libav issue.

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                    Wait, you can still build mplayer with gui support? And people USE it? What.
                    Yeah, using ./configure --enable-gui. I remember uau saying that one of the developers of mplayer bitching about removing this piece of crappy, so you can say this is one of the motives of this fork.

Originally posted by evolution View Post
                    Oh, I see!

How about compatibility with vaapi patches? Has anyone tried so far?

Cheers
                    The best thing you can do is try. I remember to compile mplayer-git with CoreAVC patches and it worked just fine. But the changes on the future version 2.1 will be more agressive, so I believe from this version towards there will be no patch compatibility from mplayer.

You can always send a feature request on their bug tracker too (http://devel.mplayer2.org/wiki/Bugs).

Comment

And now mplayer and mplayer2 both are forked. From the mpv-player site:

🎥 Command line video player. Contribute to mpv-player/mpv development by creating an account on GitHub.

Why this Fork?

MPlayer wants to maintain old code, even if it is very bad code. It seems mplayer2 was forked because MPlayer developers refused to get rid of all the cruft. The mplayer2 and MPlayer codebases also deviated enough to make a reunification unlikely.
                      mplayer2 development is slow, and it is hard to get in changes. Details withheld as to not turn this into a rant.
                      MPlayer rarely merged from mplayer2, and mplayer2 practically stopped merging from MPlayer (not even code cleanups or new features are merged)
                      mpv intends to continuously merge from mplayer-svn and mplayer2, while speeding up development. There is willingness for significant changes, even if this means breaking compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                      X