With Days Left, GNOME Shell Continues Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
    The point is not everybody wants their laptop to automatically suspend when they close its lid. What if you want it to keep crunching on some task or playing music while you close the lid to save power.
    First of all there should be proper power and human eye management that dimms or birghtens the screen based on a light sensor that is now in every laptop that has a camera, which is basically ever laptop sold in the last 2-3 years.

Also there should be face regognision so that if you are not behind your laptop then the screen should automatically turn itself of. This is in the making BTW but in a different form, so that if you step away from the screen but are still looking at it you'll get a big ass overview mode, like full screen notifications, Windows Phone 7 style of some sort.

This is basically how it should be done, so we can forget about that bullshit. Also 10 hour battery life isn't the future. I mean look at the latest Apple laptops, thus removing the need to even have that kind of unfriendly user intervention.

I don't use Gnome for the very reason that I want to do everything myself. I have heavily modified the behavior of my KDE desktop and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Bottomline:
    Gnome by default for the general computer user.
    KDE or something else for the people that want it their way.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      No. It's not a bad thing because KDE4 and Windows does it. It's a bad thing because it's main purpose is work around buggy hardware.

Your logic being expressed here is extraordinarily immature.
      The logic expressed by the gnome devs is at or below that level. Assuming that I'm so stupid that I don't care what happens when I close the lid of my laptop is pretty damn belittling of the users. And if they're not developing Gnome 3 for the users, what's the point? Why even release a Desktop Environment if you don't want people other than yourself to use it?

_THIS_ is what is wrong with Open Source. The "Live with it, write/fork your own, or GTFO out" attitude that some packages and developers have is that of a 6 year old at best. Nobody is even asking for a new feature. All that people want is an existing preference panel, which has been around for years, NOT be removed. Keep the panel and default it to sleep on lid closure- boom, you have your desired effect for the stupid users and don't tick off those of us who know what we're doing. I don't care that OS X does it. My question is: Why can't Gnome be better than OS X?

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
        Now that I think about it.

You can then share that code with everybody else and they can make it work in a easy manner also. In fact you can, very easily, write a configuration GUI program that can perform all sorts of tweaks and edits that Gnome's default configuration tools don't allow for it.

Think of it as a 'Ubuntu Power Tool'.

In fact I heavily encourage people to do so. There have been Gnome tweaker tools in the past. I've used a couple of them.

Now it's easier to write them then it ever was in the past.
        This tool exists already for Gnome 3, and includes changing the behaviour when the laptop lid is closed.

Comment

Working...
        X