GPU scaling, resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU scaling, resolutions

I am running Catalyst 11.2, 8.78.3-100920a-105558C-ATI, with a Powercolor HD5850, on Ubuntu 10.10 (Linux 2.6.35-25-generic).

Hooked up to the top DVI port, through a DVI->VGA adaptor, is an HP A7217A (Sony Trinitron GDM-FW900 with HP branding).

fglrx correctly uses the monitor's optimal timings, and I have a 2304x1440 (120.5khz*80hz) login and desktop. This is nice. However, when I start up a fullscreen game, and tell the game to run in e.g. 640x480, the monitor still receives a 120.5khz*80hz signal - obviously wrong. The game is running at the small resolution, but the GPU is apparently scaling it before outputting the picture.

I have looked all over AMDCCCLE for an option to fix this. In fact, when I had my old Samsung Syncmaster 2494 hooked up via DVI, I remember there was an option about this. With the A7217A, though, there is no option - which would be fine, except it seems to default on and I cannot turn it off.

How can I forcibly disable GPU scaling and get proper low-frequency timings out of my Radeon?

On a related note, is there any way to expand the list of available resolutions? xrandr seems to choke on every new mode I try with fglrx. The open source drivers worked out of the box with a huge list from 320x200 up to 2304x1440. I could even set up all kinds of crazy custom timings. No luck with the proprietary drivers. (And no, I can't switch back to the open source drivers - I recently can't live without OpenGL 4.)

No ideas? It's painful not being able to use any resolutions besides 2304x1440 without artifacts.

Comment

Hi, I'm actually having the exact opposite problem - I have the same exact monitor and the automatic up-scaling suddenly stopped working. Now when I use a low resolution, instead of up-scaling, it just displays it in the middle of a 2304x1440 screen (with huge black borders). I actually liked the up-scaling feature myself because it allows me to play old low-res games without feeling like I'm looking at a pointillist painting! Anyways, I'm pretty sure the up-scaling is a feature of the monitor itself, rather than whatever GPU or drivers you're using. I always find that if I change the refresh rate after selecting a lower resolution, the monitor displays the actual resolution, instead of scaling. If you're playing a game which takes over the display, you might try using a utility like powerstrip to force a non-standard refresh rate, or at least something different from 80hz. Let me know if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackSheep View Post
        Hi, I'm actually having the exact opposite problem - I have the same exact monitor and the automatic up-scaling suddenly stopped working. Now when I use a low resolution, instead of up-scaling, it just displays it in the middle of a 2304x1440 screen (with huge black borders). I actually liked the up-scaling feature myself because it allows me to play old low-res games without feeling like I'm looking at a pointillist painting! Anyways, I'm pretty sure the up-scaling is a feature of the monitor itself, rather than whatever GPU or drivers you're using. I always find that if I change the refresh rate after selecting a lower resolution, the monitor displays the actual resolution, instead of scaling. If you're playing a game which takes over the display, you might try using a utility like powerstrip to force a non-standard refresh rate, or at least something different from 80hz. Let me know if it works.
        I noticed the refresh rate situation as well. I have a few games which have refresh rate settings, and setting a different refresh rate will force a resolution change. Most games do not support this, however. In Windows, setting to 2048x1536 (more lines than 2304x1440) will also force a change, but in Linux it just hangs Xorg.

My solution here is probably just to go back to the open-source drivers and to use Windows for my programmable pipeline needs. FGLRX isn't worth the hassle (at least until Rage comes out ).

Comment

Working...
        X