Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    15 fps @ 1280x1024 is just poor.
    At what level of tesselation and compared to what?
    Is tesselation performance alone really a good indicator (and I mean, for anyone else beyond nvidia's PR dept)?

Comment

@s0rce
      If you can hold on for a few months, Llano could be very appealing, as Qaridarium suggested.
      I find the A8-3550 particularly sweet.

Then again price is an unkown. At least even if you stick to your i5 plan you should benefit from price cuts. The Japanese earthquake could impact the market too though.

Comment

Nvidia

So how about an nvidia option, maybe a 9500?
        Buy EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Support Video Card 01G-P3-N959-TR with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Does that work alright?

The older ATI (4830, etc) cards seem to get good results in the games (urban terror) I want to play. I can't find too many benchmarks of the NVidia cards (except really expensive ones.

If I didn't want to wait for the Llano and the SB integrated graphics won't cut it I just need something a bit better not a 580 GTX.

Thanks!

Comment

Ok, that nvidia card was really old, how about a GT 4xx?

Comment

Have you ran the test in Windows... I know, you probably don't use windows, but I'd be interested to see how the same benchmark compares in windows.

Comment

Nvidia cards perform almost same under linux, as under windows. Sometime they are up to 20% slower, but not more. SLI and "multimonitor 3D" are not supported, overclocking for 4xx and 5xx is not supported too(you will have to reflash vga bios with own values). Everything else should work, at least it was my experience with 9800gt 1,5 years ago. The real downside is that nvidia does not provide official opensource, but AMD does not do that either - only hardware documentation so that basic functionality works. Who buys 300$ card for linux to have basic functionality?

Neither AMD nor nvidia develop their linux driver for private households, but nvidia drivers tended (for me) to be reliable.

Nvidia 4xx is outdated. I strongly recommend using 560 and up.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                The real downside is that nvidia does not provide official opensource, but AMD does not do that either - only hardware documentation so that basic functionality works.
                Crazycheese, I'm not going to respond to all of your posts but I do need to point out periodically that this is simply not true. AMD supplies documentation *and* funds developers working full time on the open source graphics drivers.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  intel cpu+extra gpu card is just extensive and Power hungry.
                  Power hungry cards are 100$+ range (100 watts upon load and up).
                  They also provide GDDR5 memory over 192bit+ buses.

Im strongly unsure how llano system is gonna compensate that. It would just have to use 3-4 memory controllers and up, using 3-4 slots minimal (or more) of DDR3@2000+mhz memory (which you will have to purchase as well).

Add drivers on top of it(e-350 still required DRM drivers) and you have a deal. Video acceleration? OpenGL3+ support? In far future, if any.

Also, the system will just require to drain power. Based on how efficient Sandy is, there is small chance llano will match it, even if you add similar discrete card and turn sandy "on-cpu" off.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Crazycheese, I'm not going to respond to all of your posts but I do need to point out periodically that this is simply not true. AMD supplies documentation *and* funds developers working full time on the open source graphics drivers.
                    Yes, John, and this is what I respond in all my posts(Im not posting for fun, nor I work for *any* gpu company) you provide 3 developers and support Opengl patent clean-up.

The only issue that I have with AMD, is that this is simply not enough. Just what Ryan "icculus" said.

I could formulate everything in shorter way:

If I'm to buy HD6990(and water-cooling it in the end), will I be able to use opensource driver with it out of the box? When may it happen (opengl4 patent troubles excluded)? Is there any sense to use opensource with high-end cards?

If opensource is not the heavy weight for AMD - will I be able to use the same feature matrix with linux catalyst, that I can use with 580? Why is catalyst so big, so underfeatured and supporting such short amount of cards?

There is a category of buyers, that use linux.
                    At home or privately.
                    They by hardware for this goal.

If AMD considers delivering products and support for this group, it should:
                    - for IGP and HTPC(e-350): Add MPEG2, MPEG4 ASP, MPEG4 AVC, VP8 hardware decode and encode acceleration via established standard - va-api, so it reduces running costs by unused hardware cycles.
                    - for discrete hardware: Give the possibility for normal people to support closedgl4 turn into opengl4 via financial way, market it, so that people are sure that company is serious about opensource drivers and not looks at them as back-up not needed legacy solution.
                    - decide the situation with catalyst/video-ati - amd proprietary looses to nvidia and opensource is inofficially developed as legacy driver.

Comment

The nvidia 560 is way out of my price range (~$250!). I would rather stay below $100. I don't need to play new fancy games. All I play is UrbanTerror (ioquake3). This runs decently on my nvidia 9300m GS and an old Radeon 300. I would like to get a bit better performance than those old cards and I wanted to find something that was going to work well under linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X