Choosing a GFX card for new Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    Panik you are just an liar because i use video playback functions every day with the radeon driver and i use the graphic functionality every day today i play warzone2100 and games still not mean wine only and only the catalyst makes trouble and what is your FUD meaning "limited options" ?? i ise the newest distros and versions of xorg right now i use kubuntu 11.04 alpfa +xorg-edgers but yes you play bullshit bingo very well you got the highscore.
    How is that lying when it's speculation based on user experiences and information?

Does the current Catalyst driver work with the newest X Server? No.

My point is that the same issues or deficiencies still remain. They might be considered minor but many Linux users seem to indicate some things that are lacking.

Perhaps, they're satisfactory and sufficient for others. I am not sure whether the lacking features would be a problem for me or not. But, unfortunately, I sometimes need Windows software so I either have to boot up Windoze or use Wine. I'm told a Nvidia card is better for those situations.

Also, for HTPC use, I'm also told a Nvidia card is better. Still?

Anyway, I'm looking at the GTX 460 (probably 768mb ver.) and HD 6850 for a card. I think my limit would be $150 or maybe less. But, they seem like good deals right now.

Comment

gtx 460 should be available even 2nd hand right now. get it and be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
        How is that lying when it's speculation based on user experiences and information?
        You present the speculation as fact rather than identifying it as speculation.

You also tend strongly towards the most negative interpretation of other user experiences but present your views as balanced.

Not sure I would call that lying but I wouldn't call it accurate either.
        Test signature

Comment

Working...
        X