X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you upclock the card?

Hey Michael, did you upclock the cards? The 9800GT looks strange :s

Comment

When using a low end card, I suppose CPU time makes up a lesser part of the overall processing time for each frame, but on a high end card, the CPU time for each frame is comparatively is much larger.

i.e if for each frame it takes 1 unit of CPU, and on a low end GPU it takes 5 GPU units, then the CPU time is only 1/6 of the time for each frame. But say on a high end GPU, it takes 1 GPU unit per frame, then the CPU time is 1/2 for each frame.

If that logic is correct then the problem with nouveau for higher end cards is that nouveau is using too much CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
        When using a low end card, I suppose CPU time makes up a lesser part of the overall processing time for each frame, but on a high end card, the CPU time for each frame is comparatively is much larger.

i.e if for each frame it takes 1 unit of CPU, and on a low end GPU it takes 5 GPU units, then the CPU time is only 1/6 of the time for each frame. But say on a high end GPU, it takes 1 GPU unit per frame, then the CPU time is 1/2 for each frame.

If that logic is correct then the problem with nouveau for higher end cards is that nouveau is using too much CPU.
        Well, nouveau is capable of going way faster than that On my laptop (3 years old, quadro nvs 140m 128MB of vram + core duo @ 1.73GHz), I get 125fps with open arena and arround 55fps with nexuiz (not everything at the maximum, I lack vram for that).

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          Holy crap!!
          I am becoming to think that nvidia GPUs, are somewhat easier to command(program) than Radeons are. I have no other explanation for this performance boost without any nvidia support, or documentation. Maybe some one of the Radeon developers will clear the situation.
          Older chips have more mature open source drivers because they've been worked on longer. The open source r300g driver beats catalyst in some tests as well:
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
            Holy crap!!
            I am becoming to think that nvidia GPUs, are somewhat easier to command(program) than Radeons are. I have no other explanation for this performance boost without any nvidia support, or documentation. Maybe some one of the Radeon developers will clear the situation.
            They do have some helpful features, like command checking in hardware. They tell you what you did wrong instead of "crashing". Most of the time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
              On the radeon/nvidia side, nouveau people are in the lucky position of having not freeze their API which means they can change the way the communicate with the kernel. It's not the case for radeon and if i was to write it again today i would do it completely differently.
              Can't this be done by using versioning?

Comment

The 9800GT is NOT a low end.

Originally posted by grotgrot View Post
                Today I learned that my 8800GT is considered a low end GPU.

The GPU can get very hot but the only game that does so is OilRush. I know this due to a very noisy fan.
                The 9800GT (8800GT and GTS 250 are the same) is NOT a low end.

For the temperature, try forcing the fan with nvclock. What i usually did to these cards, was change the firmware fan settings, so that at worse it stays at 70c instead of the 100c it will happily go if left alone. And yes, the one with the smaller (reference design) fan is noisy.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Can't this be done by using versioning?
                  Yes, but then code for all the different versions has to be updated and tested, which significantly increases the workload and reduces the time available to spend on other improvements. Another nasty tradeoff.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
                    Is this true ? If yes then the test is useless.
                    It's not the first time. That's why I DON'T use PTS to bench nexuiz.

Originally posted by iznogood View Post
                    Can you repeat it after disabling all not supported features ?
                    No, they already told him the apache benchmark was completely useless without an external machine which generates requests but he never cared. They still publish USELESS apache benchmarks, he only cares about using PTS, it doesn't matter if the benchmark is a complete FAKE.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The reason there is advantage is dead simple. Obfuscation requires CPU time.
                      But don't jump out of joy, amd loves proprietary same as nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X