Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,080

    Default On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

    Phoronix: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

    While the Linux 2.6.38 kernel has been out for less than one week, if you use NVIDIA graphics, particularly with a low-end GPU, start counting down the days to the release of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel. Particularly on lower-end NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau driver now meets or exceeds the speed of NVIDIA's official proprietary driver in a number of OpenGL test cases...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIzMg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Russe, Bulgaria
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: On Low-End GPUs, Nouveau Speeds Past The NVIDIA Driver

    While the Linux 2.6.38 kernel has been out for less than one week, if you use NVIDIA graphics, particularly with a low-end GPU, start counting down the days to the release of the Linux 2.6.39 kernel. Particularly on lower-end NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau driver now meets or exceeds the speed of NVIDIA's official proprietary driver in a number of OpenGL test cases...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIzMg
    Holy crap!!
    I am becoming to think that nvidia GPUs, are somewhat easier to command(program) than Radeons are. I have no other explanation for this performance boost without any nvidia support, or documentation. Maybe some one of the Radeon developers will clear the situation.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Is there any change you could postfix any prerelease kernels with -pre or -rc as it get's confusing when you're talking about testing 2.6.39 when rc1 hasn't even been tagged yet

    Look at the number of articles you have testing 2.6.38 which has only been out for a short time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,932

    Default

    Go Nouveau!

    It's great that even Nvidia users have a choice!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Could it be that you are using a high-end CPU in the testing system?
    Testing a Geforce 8500 on a six-core i7 with a gpu driver that is mostly CPU bound seems pointless to me ...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyser View Post
    Could it be that you are using a high-end CPU in the testing system?
    Testing a Geforce 8500 on a six-core i7 with a gpu driver that is mostly CPU bound seems pointless to me ...
    That's exactly what wouldn't happen. A low-end GPU on top of a high-end CPU would mostly likely - not - stop at the driver's CPU bottlenecks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Holy crap!!
    I am becoming to think that nvidia GPUs, are somewhat easier to command(program) than Radeons are. I have no other explanation for this performance boost without any nvidia support, or documentation. Maybe some one of the Radeon developers will clear the situation.

    Actually they are!

    AMDs architecture takes packets of 5 ( or 4 on Cayman) Commands per Streaming Processor.
    The Nvidia equivalent takes only one command.

    So the AMD driver needs to find 5 (4) Commands to be packaged together.
    The Nvidia driver just needs to give them fire.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    i'm curious to see more results, such as seeing one of the low-end fermis vs high end, and i'm more interested in the results of the geforce 7000 series since that was the last dx9 series.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bug77 View Post
    I may be missing something, but is this all about the open source driver scoring 20.52fps versus nvidia binary scoring "only" 19.95fps? In one test?
    yes you are, that "the reverse-engineered open-source Nouveau driver now meets or exceeds the speed of NVIDIA's official proprietary driver in a number of OpenGL test cases..." means it was not as fast as the nvidia binary scoring before, not that it now beats it at a few .% now...

    they may even optimise today's code some more by Monday given encouragement from this article OC, but i dont suppose he will pull a new git and run tests by then if they do

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    964

    Default

    The nouveau driver would definitely be ideal for those cards that aren't supported by the blob any longer, such as the GeForce 5 and older. The GeForce 6 and 7 series can also benefit too. At some point it'll be possible to support the newest cards once the devs figure out how to turn on the antialiasing modes and to make use of the stream processors. I have to admit that the Nouveau driver has made great strides despite not having any support or documentation from nVidia.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •