Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving Away Linux Copies Of The New Unigine Game

Phoronix: Giving Away Linux Copies Of The New Unigine Game

Unigine's OilRush game was made available for pre-order earlier this month. The initial pre-order figures are somewhat disappointing for this game that's available right now as beta for Microsoft Windows and Linux (and a Mac OS X build coming soon) in a run-up to its formal release in June. If you don't have a copy yet, we're giving away a few copies of this oil-themed real-time strategy game that offers impressive graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still annoyed that I don't they the linux and windows version for $20. I don't want to have to buy them both.

Comment

Originally posted by klusark View Post
      I'm still annoyed that I don't they the linux and windows version for $20. I don't want to have to buy them both.
      That's what I was hoping for too. You basically pay $20 for a licence and can use it on any of the supported systems.

Comment

Originally posted by klusark View Post
        Similar titles from larger companies usually cost $50 at retail, so paying $40 for two separate platforms is not that bad in comparison. While it would be nice to be able to receive both, it would be hard to determine which purchase is dedicated to which platform because at least some people would then grab the first one that their mouse can click.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          Similar titles from larger companies usually cost $50 at retail, so paying $40 for two separate platforms is not that bad in comparison.
          OilRush looks like one of those $9.99 titles to me that just caught up with the modern-day graphics standard. But you are correct about the separate platforms in price-wise comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
            Similar titles from larger companies usually cost $50 at retail, so paying $40 for two separate platforms is not that bad in comparison.
            If it's a $20 game, paying $40 is still twice what it's worth.

Paying twice for a Mustang is still way cheaper than buying an Aston Martin, but that doesn't mean I'm going to shell out $80k for a $40k car.

Comment

One thing is sure, one cannot say (anymore) that Linux users are the ones who do not pay for games, when you compoare with the Windows figures. To be fair, the mainstream PC games media has not covered this game at all! I hope this will change when the final release is available.

On the other hands, I am not sure this RTS as the first game for their engine was a very good idea. The game looks good, this is certain, but a RTS may not appeal everyone. Especially considering the theme. They may have been better to create a FPS, or a 3rd person RPG that would appeal to a wider audience in my opinion, and would have allowed to show more textures, more various scenery.

Best wishes to them, that is nice to have a company that supports Linux, some 3D engine competition and I hope they will be able to license their engine to many third parties.

Comment

If only I could register...

I've tried a few times over the last few days, but after clicking "Continue" on the register page I always just get the http://openbenchmarking.org/register page again, with the text "An unknown error occurred." at the top.

Comment

i guess nobody likes oil rigs these days...

Comment

Damn, my system can't run the test suite and I'd sooner die than register on Twitter. But I can't run the game anyway so never mind. I will be keeping an eye out for reports of it working on r600g though.

Comment

Working...
                    X