Kernel question for Debian users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel question for Debian users

Right now, I'm using the kernel ver. 2.6.32-5-amd64 but I need to install the video drivers for my Nvidia card.

I thought I'd try a newer kernel though.

I think my best options are the liquorix kernel or upgrade to latest/Sid?

What kernel should I choose? It apears Debian has 2.6.37 or 2.6.38. What is required if I install from source? Steps?

I googled but getting a mixmash of into and lots of it is outdated.

Any advice?

I use slh's aptosid (formerly sidux) kernels for quite some time now.

Regularly updated, ok config. Somewhere between debian kernels and crazy liquorix.

You can download packages by hand or add the repository to your sources.list.

Comment

I would of course use Kanotix if you like Debian, as i provide directly the latest kernels - the latest one with 1000 hz - especially for gamers. But in case you just want unpatched kernels with U config - which run fine on Debian too feel free to use my script(s) for U mainline kernels - just get root (on U using: sudo -i, otherwise su), then
      Code:
      wget -qO- http://kanotix.com/files/fix/mainline/install-38.sh|sh
      i have got scripts for every major kernel in that dir + a daily one if you need it more current

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        I would of course use Kanotix if you like Debian, as i provide directly the latest kernels - the latest one with 1000 hz - especially for gamers. But in case you just want unpatched kernels with U config - which run fine on Debian too feel free to use my script(s) for U mainline kernels - just get root (on U using: sudo -i, otherwise su), then
        Code:
        i have got scripts for every major kernel in that dir + a daily one if you need it more current
        Is that an Ubuntu-based kernel?

I want a pure Debian kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          I use slh's aptosid (formerly sidux) kernels for quite some time now.

Regularly updated, ok config. Somewhere between debian kernels and crazy liquorix.

You can download packages by hand or add the repository to your sources.list.
          I would rather get something pure Debian. If I have issues and I need assistance, I think Debian users will then tell me go find aptosid users. Just wanted to avoid something like that, just in case.

Comment

Code:
            Grrrrr.... still can't edit here, yet, huh?

If I interpreted something wrong, my apologies. I just read someplace else of your link with ubuntu.

I was going to compile and googling various options/methods but I don't mind trying something new.

I read on some blog someone using an Ubuntu kernel and there's both liquorix and aptosid kernels but I don't think I want to use either option.

I have used a liquorix kernel on my Mint LMDE install but for my Debian partition, I thought I'd use a different option to learn 'a different way' and use a different source.

Comment

There is nothing wrong to use mainline kernels from Ubuntu - these are compiled with a hardy chroot, binary compatible for headers with Debian lenny or newer. Those are definitely good for bug reporting because they are not patched at all. The config is reasonable, maybe not fully optimal. They can be used with binary drivers on Debian lenny or newer or with some overrides (which force no modesetting) for systems with oss drivers on lenny. For squeeze however the kernel config is not problematic at all and can be used without exception. The linux-image only depends on wireless-cdra which is automatically installed with my script as you don't find that package in Debian.

You can be sure your Debian system will still run fine. For live images and the Kanotix Hellfire default kernel (and a pae one) i recompile - sometimes i change the config a little bit - the latest U kernels as those have got extra modules included like aufs, ndiswrapper and extra hotfixes. With some systems natty kernels are even binary compatible with squeeze - Nvidia modules and Vbox would usually work but fglrx did never work - therefore i had to recompile em. For those kernels you have to uninstall Debian firmware packages and use U firmware packages instead, but they run usually without problems and have got all needed firmwares for latest kernel modules.

Comment

I would of course use Kanotix if you like Debian, as i provide directly the latest kernels - the latest one with 1000 hz - especially for gamers.
                where can i download this?

Comment

Best use Kanotix or join irc://irc.freenode.net/#kanotix and ask me there.

Comment

The stock, unpatched vanilla Debian kernels are fine as they are stable and rock solid even if not optimal in perfomance

I use the Liquorix kernels on Debian Sid and they work great. On another system I have Kanotix Hellfire with the latest kernel from Kano and no issues there

Comment

Working...
                    X