Warning: Nvidia 8xxx series not ready for Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Nvidia 8xxx series not ready for Linux

Just thought I'd give people a heads on the latest Nvidia 8000 series cards. Many a problem with these cards and the new driver you need for them to operate.
    See: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93082

So if your looking for a new card, stay away for now.

and here i was thinking that only ati users have bad luck with linux.

Comment

Thanks! I was about to pull the trigger on a 8800GTS. Guess I'll wait to see when either company gets their act together.

Comment

Thanks!

Good lookin' out, bro. I've had it with ATI, so I was just shopping for an nvidia SLI setup; you've saved me quite a bit of grief, most likely.

Comment

Simple Fix

Hey all, I had problems when I first got this card. I couldn't switch from my desktop to console. So after 3 minutes on goggle I found a Fix. Booting Linux in VGA=Normal fixed everything for me. I don't get the fancy SuSe background in console or the boot splash anymore but I have not had a problem since. This also holds true for these cards in SLI mode also.

Comment

ouch :/

Hello everybody.

Is all that means, that nobody can make an Geforce 8xxx run without trouble under linux ?!

I expected to change my computer this summer, i go for a core2duo, bad news...they are buggy.... with an Geforce 8800 GTX...no luck, they are also buggy with troubles under linux....

Any advice ? Getting a 7950 serie ?

Best.

Comment

Hello everybody.

Is all that means, that nobody can make an Geforce 8xxx run without trouble under linux ?!
              Errr.... I've been running a 8800gtx in Linux (opensuse 10.2) for over 5 months and pair of em' in SLI for 2 months.

For all the doubters....

Single Card:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

SLI Mode:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

<blockquote>
                My Specs:
                Amd FX-60 Socket 939 Possessor
                4 Gigs of CORSAIR XMS DDR-400 Ram
                Twin eVGA 8800GTX 768mb Graphics Cards running SLI
                ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard
                Twin Western Digital Sata Raptors Hard Drives (in Raid 0)
                OpenSuse 10.2 x86_64 - Kernel 2.6.18.2-24
                </blockquote>
                This is about the same setup I have, have you tried it under solaris? If the 8xxx work under solaris with that rig, I'm set!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwing Strikes View Post
                  Errr.... I've been running a 8800gtx in Linux (opensuse 10.2) for over 5 months and pair of em' in SLI for 2 months.

For all the doubters....
                  Hello all, Hello Throwing Strikes, thanks you for the pictures and for your comments.

i expect to buy one 8800gtx soon, i was in doubt. I think i gonna take my luck after all. The Nvidia drivers maybe need to be improved, they do it generally, so...

Anyway, thanks again for your comments.

Best.

Comment

Hello Gazzonyx, I've never played with Solaris before. To get my 8800 working in Linux I had to change a boot setting (VGA=Normal) to get rid of the nasty bugs people are talking about with this card under Linux. So I'm not sure what you would have to change/do to get this card working if anything at all under Solaris.

Comment

Working...
                    X