No modelines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No modelines?

I used a HD3850 card a while back with fglrx and I still remember what a nightmare it was to set it up correctly. However, I have since moved on to the free radeon driver, which proved to be of much better quality.

Unfortunately, now I'm back to square one: my new HD6950 isn't supported by the free driver yet, so after two years of happiness I find myself fighting fglrx again. I have dual-monitor setup, and both monitors (for irrelevant reasons) need custom modelines. The modelines worked well with the older fglrx version that I used 2 years ago, and they kept working well with the free driver. However, any attempt to use any of the modelines with the current (11.2) fglrx driver results in either or both:
    - horrible screen corruption+crash on start up
    - hard lock on X restart

The corruption occurs when using the following modeline for my DFP:
    ModeLine "1600x1200R" 130.2 1600 1648 1680 1760 1200 1203 1207 1235 +hsync -vsync
    Just declaring this modeline is fine, but as soon as I make it a "PreferredMode", I get garbage on the screen as soon as X starts up and immediate crash.

The other modeline for my CRT is:
    ModeLine "1600x1200@76" 208.7 1600 1720 1896 2192 1200 1201 1204 1253 -hsync +vsync
    Starting X with this set as PreferredMode results in the monitor not lighting up (but the other monitor works). Any attempt to restart X results in hard lockup.

The old fglrx config that used to work with the same monitors and modelines 2 years ago: http://paste2.org/p/1306568
    The fglrx config that I'm trying now (I used aticonfig to create a working initial file and then added the options from the old file): http://paste2.org/p/1306575

So, am I doing anything wrong, or has fglrx badly regressed with basic things like modesetting?

Ah yes, in case it matters: I'm using 64-bit Kubuntu 10.04.2 with 2.6.35-25 kernel, catalyst 11.2. I can post the Xorg log file in case of need, but I didn't see any errors that would tell me why the CRT monitor doesn't work. (I do get the backtrace when attempting to enable the DFP modeline.)

Comment

I gave up playing with modelines and got a nice tft. Using a crt with fglrx is a pain.

Comment

Right, except my LCD screen also needs a modeline (otherwise it shows artifacts all over).

Comment

That's new to me. Do you use DVI?

Comment

Yes, LCD is connected through DVI. I think the monitor has a birth defect in its DVI adapter.

Comment

Probably your LCD has a broken EDID. What is the make and model of the LCD?

Comment

Why didn't you return it?

Comment

There were troubles returning it. Anyway, it doesn't matter here.

Comment

Working...
                  X