Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Call For Testing On The NVIDIA Blob

Phoronix: Ubuntu Call For Testing On The NVIDIA Blob

A call for testing has been issued on NVIDIA's binary Linux display driver for the upcoming Ubuntu 11.04 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully the Catalyst 11.4 Beta will arrive soon for Ubuntu natty. AMD already released a 11.4 pre-release for Windows users.

Comment

Would be more fun when not Btw. Kanotix users usally test already latest Nvidia drivers as soon as i know about em.

Comment

It would only be useful for Canonical to test the open source drivers like this if they had developers that could fix any bugs in the code

Even if they are shipping Mesa 10.1 they could easily add patches to fix reported bugs if they had people to write them like RedHat does

This isn't about using the latest code it's about not having developer power

Comment

most nvidia users use the "blob", so i dont know if its "exciting" or not, but is equally necessary

Comment

Blob.

Unfortunately, Nouveau for me isn't unusable, isn't slow, but it is harmful. Thanks to the "fantastic" design of the HP Pavilion TX1000, the nForce 430/GeForce 6150SE needs to be cool, and that means: PowerMizer and power throttling support. After seeing in Nouveau mailing list, caught in Fedora Forums, tales of a Nouveau tester that burned his computer trying to use Nouveau, I'm essentially forced to use the blob, because if I don't use it, my computer dies.

Hope you understand, fellow FLOSS lovers.

Comment

nVidia provides the best graphics drivers for GNU/Linux by far, and improving the drivers are important for anyone wanting good performance (especially for gaming), power management and video acceleration.

I hope they add support for GTX 550 Ti, GTX 590 and any other upcoming products in time for the release.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                It would only be useful for Canonical to test the open source drivers like this if they had developers that could fix any bugs in the code

Even if they are shipping Mesa 10.1 they could easily add patches to fix reported bugs if they had people to write them like RedHat does

This isn't about using the latest code it's about not having developer power
                Testing and forwarding bug reports would be useful to open source on the whole. Of course hiring and assigning more developers to fix them would be even more helpful but it is a matter of degree. Both are good to have.

Comment

Also the blob is the standard the rest of the drivers should be measured against.
                  Same for the apps: they should be optimized for the blob only, and the rest of drivers improved to match its performance.
                  It's a shame that it's a binary-only driver, but it's the most feature-complete one (at least regarding to 2D/3D).
                  So I agree it's necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Testing and forwarding bug reports would be useful to open source on the whole. Of course hiring and assigning more developers to fix them would be even more helpful but it is a matter of degree. Both are good to have.
                    Except they're not having an event testing and forwarding bug reports for the open drivers

Comment

Working...
                    X