FC6 is freakin' awesome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FC6 is freakin' awesome.

I just thought I would contribute thoughts about the latest Fedora Core release....It rocks! I've never been big on Gnome, but I find that I really like it better than KDE now. Unfortunately, new ATI cards don't work well in the distro, and AIGLX doesn't work at all. I've decided to get an Nvidia card because I love the effects so much! Everything seems to work well in FC6, and I'm finally comfortable with YUM. It's every bit as powerful as APT, but I like the search function much better. Kudos to the FC team for a home run!

It installed without a hitch on my 8800GTX-equipped system. So far, that's leaps and bounds better than anything else.

Comment

Just curious, but did you go straight to FC6 or did you try any other distros on the 8800?

Comment

When you say "installed without a hitch", do you mean it installed the nv driver that works with the 8800 cards. I'd be surprised if you meant nvidia's proprietary driver.

Comment

Interesting. My experience is quiet contrary. In fact, Fedora Core 6 feels like a Beta version to me. I haven't installed a Linux distribution since long that had so many problems. The only thing I really liked was the simple implementation of desktop effects and I wish more distributions would go this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Janusz11 View Post
            Interesting. My experience is quiet contrary. In fact, Fedora Core 6 feels like a Beta version to me. I haven't installed a Linux distribution since long that had so many problems. The only thing I really liked was the simple implementation of desktop effects and I wish more distributions would go this way.
            What problems did you have?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Also, what kind of hardware are you using?

Comment

Well, I've installed FC6 for at least four times and every time the outcome was somewhat different.

For example, when I tried FC6 the first time, desktop effects were working "out of the box". For the last three times they weren't. For Fedora's defense I might add that I meanwhile switched from an ATi to a nVidia card, so when I installed it the last time it could well be because I changed the graphics card.

Fedora picking up the wrong kernel at install is a well known bug. By accident I read in a forum that typing in 'linux i686' after booting the install DVD should help. Haven't tried it anymore, though.

Also, I managed for two times to nearly destroy the system when I removed some software Fedora Core 6 installs that I don't need. For some reason the software manager removed a whole bunch of packages after dependencies checking that were important to the system nonetheless. Yeah, dependencies checking can be hell- that's why I don't like it.

Maybe I didn't give FC6 enough time. But I can't help myself, somehow it felt rough and kind of unfinished to me. My experience is that there are other distributions that work much smoother "out of the box".

However I really like the look of Fedora Core 6- that's why I tried it. And as I've already stated, I'm impressed by the desktop effects- when they are working. If they are working, they are working great!

Comment

Reluctant FC6 Convert

I'm switching from using fc4 exclusively and hated fc6 when I first started using it. Mainly because I couldn't get 3D support nor my Wintv capture card working. I've only been using it for a week but I'm slowly using my fc4 box less and less.

Comment

Originally posted by kjrnec View Post
                    I'm switching from using fc4 exclusively and hated fc6 when I first started using it. Mainly because I couldn't get 3D support nor my Wintv capture card working. I've only been using it for a week but I'm slowly using my fc4 box less and less.
                    So is everything now golden on FC6 or what issues are you still facing?
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X