Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Fusion Falters With Linux 2.6.38 Final

Default AMD Fusion Falters With Linux 2.6.38 Final

Phoronix: AMD Fusion Falters With Linux 2.6.38 Final

Some may have noticed that hours before Linus released the Linux 2.6.38 kernel, he pulled the latest DRM-fixes code, which included fixes by David Airlie for my Fusion graphics problem last week and another Fusion graphics issue I reported over the weekend. So does Linux 2.6.38 kernel work now with the Fusion Zacate system?..

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIxNw

How can anyone release such a thing as "stable" in good conscience? Is this what the Linux kernel has become?

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    How can anyone release such a thing as "stable" in good conscience? Is this what the Linux kernel has become?
    Nobody can test such a massive piece of software as the Linux kernel. It's maybe that the comlpex programs trigger another bug. Don't worry, it will be fixed in next release, which distributions will start shipping anyway. Archlinux does not ship just released kernel versions, but 2.6.xx.1-.. ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Archlinux does not ship just released kernel versions, but 2.6.xx.1-.. ones.
    This could be a sign that people have lost trust in "stable" kernels nowadays. Perhaps this all started when upstream kernel decided to publish "rc" kernels that aren't actually release candidates.

This could be a sign that people have lost trust in "stable" kernels nowadays. Perhaps this all started when upstream kernel decided to publish "rc" kernels that aren't actually release candidates.
    Well, it used to be that distros shipped custom 2.4 kernels with a bunch of backported stuff from 2.5. Everyone agreed that sucked, so they went to shipping custom kernels based of the 2.6 series while development still continued there. If anything, distros are much closer to using the .0 kernels than they used to be.

They can label the drivers as "experimental" and not worry about it. As long as their drivers have that sort of distinction and do not affect anything else when off, the developers are not responsible for what you do.

We can't test every combination of hardware and software out there. There aren't enough developers. What we can't test gets reported as bugs and we fix them. On the windows side, OEMs work with hw vendors before a product is launched to make sure everything is working properly. This isn't happening much yet on desktop systems with Linux so a lot of the testing has to happen after the software gets released.

Default Alsa 5.1

First of all hi to all the forum users,

I do think that with the level of interest this platform has that all the bugs would be sorted out quite promptly

However my showstopper is different. Guys if I may question from the completly different barrel. Any of You got 5.1 sound working with Asus E35M1-M? I got no succes regardless of the kernel used
    2.6.38-rc8-git3
    which has alsa 1.0.23 or 2.6.38-rc8-next-20110314
    which has alsa 1.0.24

please help as I looked for solution just about enywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Nobody can test such a massive piece of software as the Linux kernel. It's maybe that the comlpex programs trigger another bug. Don't worry, it will be fixed in next release, which distributions will start shipping anyway. Archlinux does not ship just released kernel versions, but 2.6.xx.1-.. ones.
    I just want to clarify that this is nor really true, Arch Linux will occasionally ship a .0 kernel. If you read arch-dev-public you can see the whole process of testing. Usually people will experience some bugs and Arch won't release until everyone on the list agrees the kernel is working well for them. Often this necessitates waiting for the .1 kernel, but it's not a matter of policy or anything, just the way things go. .0 goes into testing right away, of course.

I now updated to .38 and the system hangs when going fullscreen in a flash video and right-clicking somewhere.

When going fullscreen, KDE will suspend compositing. When right-clicking, a menu will pop-up, so KDE will try to resume compositing. And the driver hangs when doing that. SysRq doesn't work.

This is with a Radeon HD4870.