Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Linux 2.6.38 Kernel Released

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,324

    Default Linux 2.6.38 Kernel Released

    Phoronix: Linux 2.6.38 Kernel Released

    Just as expected, Linus Torvalds released the Linux 2.6.38 kernel over the night. Since the previous Linux 2.6.38-rc8 release there's been some Btrfs file-system updates and other regression fixes throughout, including two fixes for my AMD Fusion Linux problems. Over the Linux 2.6.37 kernel, there's a lot to be found and to enjoy about this new kernel...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTIxMw

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    73

    Default

    LZO as compression algorithm for Btrfs. Finally!

    When I first saw news about compressed filesystem in Btrfs and I read it was done with the zlib the first thing I thought was: Why the hell zlib and not LZO? It doesn't make any sense for most uses of a filesystem, except on some really big fat servers. But LZO makes sense everywhere. It's waaay faster and it's compression ratio is very good.

    Phoronix should totally bench and compare the Btrfs mount options now!

    Some tests from the developer (Li Zefan) follow:

    Quote Originally Posted by Li Zefan;[url
    https://lwn.net/Articles/416644/][/url]
    The test copied a linux source tarball (~400M) from an ext4 partition
    to the btrfs partition, and then extracted the tarball.

    (time in second)
    lzo zlib nocompress
    copy: 10.6 21.7 14.9
    extract: 70.1 94.4 66.6

    (data size in MB)
    lzo zlib nocompress
    copy: 185.87 108.69 394.49
    extract: 193.80 132.36 381.21

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    73

    Default

    (damn 1 minute edit time)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Some tests from the developer (Li Zefan) follow:

    Quote Originally Posted by Li Zefan on https://lwn.net/Articles/416644/
    The test copied a linux source tarball (~400M) from an ext4 partition
    to the btrfs partition, and then extracted the tarball.

    (time in second)
    .............. lzo ...... zlib ...... nocompress
    copy: .... 10.6 ..... 21.7 ...... 14.9
    extract: . 70.1 ..... 94.4 ...... 66.6

    (data size in MB)
    .............. lzo ....... zlib ........ nocompress
    copy: .... 185.87 ... 108.69 .... 394.49
    extract: . 193.80 ... 132.36 .... 381.21

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellery021 View Post
    Hello,
    I don't have some idea on Linux 2.6.38 Kernel Released so if you get some idea pls share it .
    It's just geek's buzztalking. It only means next version of Ubuntu will have updated software.

  6. #6

    Default

    @Jntesteves

    If this bot will reply you, then AI must be finaly created!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    134

    Default

    I am getting a consistent a kernel oops when the screensaver kicks in. BUG: bug unable to handle kernel paging request at...

    What this means and how do I fix it. It is really annoying and after each oops I get to do fsck for any file errors.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beiruty View Post
    I am getting a consistent a kernel oops when the screensaver kicks in. BUG: bug unable to handle kernel paging request at...

    What this means and how do I fix it. It is really annoying and after each oops I get to do fsck for any file errors.

    thats funny, im getting the same thing.


    kubuntu 10.10, xorg-edgers ppa ,radeon driver (3850) , mainline kernel 2.6.38

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kraftman View Post
    @Jntesteves

    If this bot will reply you, then AI must be finaly created!
    ..... ahhaha

    now I see. But it doesn't really take an AI implementation to do that. A simple conditional statement will do.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jntesteves View Post
    ..... ahhaha

    now I see. But it doesn't really take an AI implementation to do that. A simple conditional statement will do.
    Of course it will.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •