Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

Phoronix: GNU Free Call: A Proposed Free Phone To Skype

The GNU Free Call project was released today. It's a project that's self described to be a new communication service to compete with Skype that is designed to be free as in freedom and free as in no cost...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Decentralized, crypted SIP communicaton? I'm already drooling.

Comment

No doubt they will have a better name when the actual produact is released I hope...

"GNU free call" vs "skype" ya know what I mean?

or will it be known as just "freecall" which aint that bad I suppose

Comment

That sound a great idea !

Comment

okay, this is practically on par with a steam release.
          decentralized and opensource!!!

Comment

Smells like potential port forwarding hell. I hope they make it so easy like Skype.

Comment

As stated Open Source projects really need to come up with some better names. GNU Free Call... is mehhhh just call it Free Call.

Comment

I have a challenge for it:
                Work through an http proxy that only allows encrypted tcp traffic destined for port 443.

You can't really do that without relays.
                Who will provide that infrastructure? The only possibility I can think of is to have connected users serve as relays like Skype nodes.

The problem there is that you need a way to intelligently route traffic in a low-latency manner through nodes that may have questionable reliability, and the stream transmission guarantee of tcp is a major stumbling-block to that.

Comment

The project has already failed, they just don't know it yet. Why, you say? Just read the "how" section in the article.

In short, will this thing list all my friends so I can just click on "call" to talk to them? Without manual setup and user guides? Will I be able to call landlines?

Comment

To Skype or not to Skype?

Will be possible to contact a Skype user via GNU free call? AND (not OR) vice versa? if I do skype calls via facebook can I reach or be reached by a GFC user?

If the answer is no... Ekiga . Game over, Gnu Free Call .

P.S. What about IP to non-IP calls?

Comment

Working...
                    X