X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aticonfig --pplib-cmd doesn't work

aticonfig utility doesn't work properly.For example :
    aticonfig --od-gettemperature
    ERROR - Get temperature failed for the Default Adapter - ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

and another

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "set fanspeed 0 15"
    PPLIB command execution has failed!
    ati_pplib_cmd: execute "set" failed!

How to fix this?
    Soft:
    Driver is amd catalyst 11.2
    kernel 2.6.37 from liquorix repository
    Distr : debian squeeze.

I'm not sure if the hd 3200 even has a temperature sensor.

The pplib command doesn't work here either, but I don't have a fan on the chip anyway. I think the command is correct though. Maybe you can control your fan via lm_sensors?

Comment

As i know the lm_sensors just show the temperatures.
      I also have the HD 3650 adapter. For it output is same :
      aticonfig --od-gettemperature --adapter=1
      ERROR - Get temperature failed for Adapter 1 - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

but this command works
      aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks

Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
      Core (MHz) Memory (MHz)
      Current Clocks : 196 0
      Current Peak : 500 400
      Configurable Peak Range : [500-500] [400-400]
      GPU load : 7%

but command like set-powerstate, --adapter=1 --od-getclocks, and etc(which rely to power controling and fan controling) doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by naim View Post
        As i know the lm_sensors just show the temperatures.
        I also have the HD 3650 adapter. For it output is same :
        aticonfig --od-gettemperature --adapter=1
        ERROR - Get temperature failed for Adapter 1 - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

but this command works
        aticonfig --adapter=0 --od-getclocks

Adapter 0 - ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
        Core (MHz) Memory (MHz)
        Current Clocks : 196 0
        Current Peak : 500 400
        Configurable Peak Range : [500-500] [400-400]
        GPU load : 7%

but command like set-powerstate, --adapter=1 --od-getclocks, and etc(which rely to power controling and fan controling) doesn't work.
        If
        Code:
        aticonfig --list-adapters
        only returns one string with your graphics chip's name in it, --adapter=0 is probably what you want to use for all the commands.

I doubt you can use aticonfig to tune fan speed in a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
          If
          Code:
          aticonfig --list-adapters
          only returns one string with your graphics chip's name in it, --adapter=0 is probably what you want to use for all the commands.

I doubt you can use aticonfig to tune fan speed in a laptop.
          The list-adapters return the 2 entries:

ticonfig --list-adapters
          * 0. 01:05.0 ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
          1. 02:00.0 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

* - Default adapter

I think there is a way to control fan speed on my Asus PRO57t,because windows drive does it.

Comment

For future reference, the discreet chip set of low end AMD graphics, this will not work. There is no fan for the AMD HD 3200. The graphics are physically located in the North Bridge chip which also by default doesn't have a fan on it. However you can get an angular fan installed that will fit next to the CPU heat sink and fan.

If you get the angular fan on the heat sink, the command below still won't work, it's designed for dedicated graphics cards. Such as the AMD HD 7700 series and beyond. (It can work on the 5000 and 6000 series as well). Even older still, some HD 4000 series cards do have a fan on them that will response to the command below, granted not all of them.

amdconfig pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 0 100' for example is for setting the speed of the fan on the first "card" installed (which is default) at 100% of it's operational speed.

For example, this will work on accessory cards plugged into the PCI-E slot and that you disable your on-board HD 3200 graphics, selecting from the BIOS to look for graphics as PEG (PCI-E / PCI Express Graphics) option.

Note: You can overclock from the BIOS for the HD 3200 but there is a limited that most people aren't aware of because the manufacturer doesn't tell you this. For example Gigabyte states you can have the HD 3200 core clock overclock to 1300 MHz but most can only hit 935 MHz. Reason for that is, is the voltages have to be boosted so that you can reach that speed and be stable. Problem being, stock cooling is just enough for 935 MHz, which is the reason that under normal circumstances, it won't clock above it, until you boost the voltages. You'll need a really good air cooling heat sink and fan to go that high.

Although, to be fair, only 4 GPU cores, which are the older Shader model 3.0, isn't worth it to overclock it to above 935 MHz. You're better off overclocking your memory to 1066 or 1200 MHz if you have good memory. I can tell you how to do that, again it has to do with over-volting first. Specificially, NB VID voltage to 1.4 volts instead of the default. There are some other things you need to do as well.
            Last edited by LexBarringer; 21 February 2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X