Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An OpenGL 4.1 Gallium3D State Tracker Was Just Proposed

Phoronix: An OpenGL 4.1 Gallium3D State Tracker Was Just Proposed

It's not often that really interesting mailing list messages come through on the weekend, but this Sunday there is a very interesting message that was posted to the Mesa development list. A Belgian developer has offered to write an OpenGL 4.1 state tracker for Gallium3D this summer. Not only that, but that this state tracker to support the latest OpenGL specification would be free of using Mesa. This would also mean parts of the OpenGL 3.x API, EGL context-creation, LLVMpipe support, OpenVG state tracker support, and possibly even Clover capabilities for OpenCL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's just awesome news and i certainly hope that he can get it done.

Comment

This guy is _very_ ambitious but I think he would succeed. He could be a big win for the community.
      Therefore I hope he won't be discouraged too heavily and he can start working soon.

I think he will get the necessary video cards quickly, AMD should step up as soon as his project gets accepted by Google.

Comment

I really hope this guy can do this. It will be an amazing accomplishment if he can.

I do wonder how far VMWare has come with this already. They were working on the DX10 state tracker for a while before they merged it into mainline

Let's hope that no work is duplicated

Comment

free OGL4.1 card?

I hope he is serious about it and not just looking for a free OGL4.1 capable card

Comment

He doesn't need a card.. as he isn't implementing DRM support but software rendering probably on top of the normal renderer and also llvmpipe.

I think the idea is just to get the state tracker started and later add on the hardware support.

Comment

That's very nice, but...

... OpenGL 3/4 linux implementation is stopped by those f***ed patents.
              Will be ever possible to do something GL3/4 without having to pay someone $ 1,241,452,883,945,814,664,741,093 for every single working OpenGL thing + 3,121,532 years in prison on Pluto (years of Pluto, not Earth)?

Comment

This is a very ambitious project, but I wish him all the luck in the world, as I'd love to see the project succeed.

Comment

Getting into FOSS just for the money? boy, I hate GSOC. It has corrupted the whole FOSS community.
                  Either he wants to develop that, then he should do it right now and not ?maybe in summer if I get accepted?.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickup View Post
                    ... OpenGL 3/4 linux implementation is stopped by those f***ed patents.
                    Will be ever possible to do something GL3/4 without having to pay someone $ 1,241,452,883,945,814,664,741,093 for every single working OpenGL thing + 3,121,532 years in prison on Pluto (years of Pluto, not Earth)?
                    I think the laws on software patents in Belgium are much saner than in the US. It might not be an issue for him.

Comment

Working...
                    X