Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Graphics Get A Boost With Linux 2.6.38, Mesa 7.11

Phoronix: Intel Graphics Get A Boost With Linux 2.6.38, Mesa 7.11

Earlier this week I talked about the direction of ATI Radeon graphics in Ubuntu 11.04, which is quite positive with there being measurable 3D performance improvements in the latest open-source driver code, after a week prior talking about a massive Intel Sandy Bridge performance fix that is able to now put the open-source Linux performance closer to being on-par with Intel's Windows OpenGL driver. How though is the performance of Intel's previous-generator Clarkdale/Arrandale graphics looking? Quite good too. Here are some quick benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice boost, i would like if there would be a xorg backports repo for Debian 6.0 / squeeze too. Maybe launchpad should add Debian support.

Comment

While it is a nice boost it looks like I still wouldn't classify barely over 30 fps as "playable". Maybe at lower resolutions it maybe playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Nice boost, i would like if there would be a xorg backports repo for Debian 6.0 / squeeze too. Maybe launchpad should add Debian support.
        I was about to ask about Ubuntu 11.04. Is there a launchpad repo for Mesa 7.11? (other than xorg edgers, which would pull lots of other bits). Thanks for any pointer!

Comment

A lot of good news today! i'm really happy!

Comment

It's a shame I can't use the newer drivers due to a bug that's been there since driver version 2.12 (found in Ubuntu 10.10). I need MS Office to work under Wine, since LibreOffice still can't do some thins I need (like full compatibility with Office 2007 documents), and any driver newer than 2.11 causes major rendering errors (black areas and borders).

It also affects other programs, as we can see by the bugzilla entry at freedesktop.org: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30157

Comment

It's sad I can't use the newer drivers due to a bug that's been there since driver version 2.12 (found in Ubuntu 10.10). I need MS Office to work under Wine, since LibreOffice still can't do some thins I need (like full compatibility with Office 2007 documents), and any driver newer than 2.11 causes major rendering errors (black areas and borders).

It also affects other programs, as we can see by the bugzilla entry at freedesktop.org: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30157

I even downgraded the entire Ubuntu to 10.04 because of another problem with my trackpad too (it takes 3 to 4 taps, sometimes, for it to register the click).

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                I need MS Office to work under Wine, since LibreOffice still can't do some thins I need (like full compatibility with Office 2007 documents)
                Andre, according to ISO/IEC 26300 ODF is official document interchange format. Not Docx. This is why MS Office should open Libre/Open Office documents, not vice versa. Docx in MSO 2007 is MS-only local proprietary format.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Andre, according to ISO/IEC 26300 ODF is official document interchange format. Not Docx. This is why MS Office should open Libre/Open Office documents, not vice versa. Docx in MSO 2007 is MS-only local proprietary format.
                  Ya but this isn't how it works out in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Ya but this isn't how it works out in reality.
                    In reality you install LibreOffice and point anybody questioning at ISO/IEEE.

You, of course, can and should use anything you prefer or want. But when it comes to document exchange, standards must be followed. It isn't LibreOffice problem, its Microsoft problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X