Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Praise for E-350 and XvBA

Hi,

I have this HTPC setup with a AMD Fusion in it (E-350) running Archlinux and XBMC. Without hardware acceleration it's possible to play 720p but just barely. With xvba-video (thanx to splitted desktop systems) it works like a charm with just a few percentage cpu usage and tear free playback!

So here i praise you 2 (AMD for XvBA and E-350) and Splitted desktop systems for making a VAAPI backend. It really works well on my HTPC. Thanx a lot and keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Mark

HTPC

I'm really interested in trying something similar but I keep finding conflicting information that XMBC won't work well with the E-350 and accelerated graphics.

Any chance you could point out some useful forum threads or wiki pages or have any useful suggestions?

Thanks very much,
    Lyle

Comment

You might want to contect Michael and give him a hints or two so he updates his review of Fusion

Comment

Okay, I am currently watching Avatar in 1080p on my TV screen over HDMI with Ubuntu running XBMC and accelerating the video with VA-API/XvBA on my AMD Fusion E-350 based Notebook, which accesses the movie over a Samba share from another computer.

#winning

Comment

Is the Acer models with that hardware any good?

With that hardware, it seems it's either Acer or Toshiba except the Toshibas lack a HDMI port.

The Acers might be good?

Interesting that ATI is supporting that hardware and the features. That's good!

Comment

Well you will not be happy when you want to play h264 l5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              Is the Acer models with that hardware any good?

With that hardware, it seems it's either Acer or Toshiba except the Toshibas lack a HDMI port.

The Acers might be good?

Interesting that ATI is supporting that hardware and the features. That's good!
              If you're referring to the Aspire One D522, it's a slightly different APU (Ontario C-50) though from the reviews I've seen so far, for video playback they're doing just fine.
              E.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzcGC0aaaew

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
                Hi,

I have this HTPC setup with a AMD Fusion in it (E-350) running Archlinux and XBMC. Without hardware acceleration it's possible to play 720p but just barely. With xvba-video (thanx to splitted desktop systems) it works like a charm with just a few percentage cpu usage and tear free playback!

So here i praise you 2 (AMD for XvBA and E-350) and Splitted desktop systems for making a VAAPI backend. It really works well on my HTPC. Thanx a lot and keep up the good work!

Regards,
                Mark

Could you give us some detail steps how did you do that? Did you install Catalyst 11.3 before installing XvBA? Do you need to install the catalysthacks?

Comment

I've been trying all weekend to get VAAPI working on my Gigabyte E350-USB3 without succes. I think the problem lies with my Catalyst drivers, when running flgrxinfo I always get an 'Unable to open display (null)' error.

I'ld love to hear some experiences from users who already got it working. What drivers did you use (and from where did you get them), what version of splitted desktop's libva, etc?

Comment

Most easy way is to use Kanotix Hellfire, i have got scripts for driver + mplayer vaapi, vlc git, xbmc git...

Comment

Working...
                    X