Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Looks To Ramp Up Its Linux Engineer Count

Phoronix: AMD Looks To Ramp Up Its Linux Engineer Count

NVIDIA isn't the only one looking to expand its Linux team, but AMD is now in a mad dash to dramatically ramp up its engineering teams. AMD has been looking to hire at least another open-source developer in recent months to work on its graphics stack, but Advanced Micro Devices has now announced they're looking to hire over one thousand "tech professionals" where the software engineers are skilled in Linux and open-source development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I... love... this company, Yeah!

Developpers, developpers, developpers, developpers! ... heh.. Who said sit down?! ^^,

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      Big time now the good opensource linux work gives amd a base to expant on this market.

now an more open firmware is coming and a full featured openCL workframe for the Radeon/Galium3D is coming to

bye bye nvidia on the linux market.
      lol you have been yelling that for a couple of years, you always say they will be "dead next year" and yet they continue on.

Comment

Awesome!

I am not sure whether any of our AMD friends in the forum can give us more details, but this is certainly awesome. My feeling is that they want to make sure they can be a strong player in the cloud, where Linux is a driving force in the backend. I am not sure how much of this will leak into end user stuff. It's still pretty cool.

Comment

thumbs up to AMD!
          I'm definitely considering converting when I upgrade my system.
          NVIDIA has worked well, but it seems AMD is stepping up.

Comment

One thousand?

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              nvidia fan-boy its hart to believe but yes nvidia is dieing.
              Lol, uhhuh, sure couldn't tell that from their profits or stock prices.

Comment

Oh wow! great news! Nothing in the netherlands..?
                Anyway, i really really really hope that they will ramp up the opengl support in gallium and more importantly make it the most stable opengl implementation! (yeah, i keep hoping)

Go AMD

Comment

Guys, this is not 1000 open source driver developers. It's 1000 devs who know how to work with Linux. Perhaps Catalyst, perhaps some new cloud computing stuff, perhaps internal simulation tool development, some of them will work on hardware development (under Linux), etc.

Still, if this means that two or three talented OSS driver devs join the team, it will be a really welcome boost already!

Comment

It's too bad I have another two years of college left, or I'd apply for one of those jobs.

Comment

Working...
                    X