Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.0 Beta 2 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.0 Beta 2 Released

The GNOME release team has announced the immediate release of GNOME 3.0 Beta 2. The release of GNOME 3.0 Beta 2 (v2.91.91) puts this free software desktop stack in its string and user-interface freeze...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Few things that got on my nerves is that in 3.0 you can't even set your fonts without hacking some files or digging up settings from dconf-editor (-1). The default antialiasing setting sucks (-2). 11pt default font and 96px icons in gnome-shell, are you kidding me? Do gnome-shell devs think that I have 1920x1200 15" monitor? (-3). As it was in the case of gconf, with dconf, even more settings are hidden from the user (-4).

Comment

Only Unity will save it.

Comment

LOL

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Only Unity will save it.
        Haha that is funny Although ATM I sort of agree

Comment

People should only talk about Unity when they tried the very latest release and shouldn't judge it by the old Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook-Release.

I've tried Unity 3.6.4 (from thursday) and it is amazing. GNOME 3.0 has interesting concepts, but the newest release of Unity is just superior in every possible way in my opinion.

Comment

I have tried both. I am currently running an up to date Fedora 15 Alpha install. Gnome 3 is very smooth in a lot of ways, but does have several rough edges. For instance, it still uses the old Network Manager applet and not a new monochrome one like the volume and other icons panel icons. I do think that the fonts need fixing and hope that there will be a place in the newly redesigned settings panel to tweak fonts. There isn't even a screensaver yet so I would assume they have a ways to go till they reach feature parity with Gnome 2. Hopefully they plan to add this functionality in the future. Many have compared the Gnome 3.0 release to the KDE 4.0 release, and some of that is valid. I do feel that Gnome 3 has the edge in usability at this early stage of it's life. Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              People should only talk about Unity when they tried the very latest release and shouldn't judge it by the old Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook-Release.

I've tried Unity 3.6.4 (from thursday) and it is amazing. GNOME 3.0 has interesting concepts, but the newest release of Unity is just superior in every possible way in my opinion.
              Unity looks very promising. It gives the hope Ubuntu will be DE neutral thus more interesting for many users. There are some Gtk applications I like very much and I'd like to have a unified environment where Qt and Gtk apps look and behave the same. If Canonical will do it, it will be wonderful.

Comment

Working...
              X