• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you control fan speeds with radeon/r600g

this is my first post. and it is really a silly question, but here goes:
    Can you control fan speed on the radeon/r600g driver? Thanks

Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
    this is my first post. and it is really a silly question, but here goes: Can you control fan speed on the radeon/r600g driver? Thanks
    Not a silly question at all. You can't control fan speed directly but you can control power consumption via profiles and (on some systems) dyn(amic)pm, and reducing power consumption reduces heat buildup and allows the fan controller to reduce the fan speed. For more info on power control see the relevent section of :

Test signature

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I decided to run it on low power mode. It's sortof jerky in KWin and firefox scrolling, but it seems there is ~40F Difference in default and low power mode, so i guess i will keep it there.

Comment

Yes, it's huge difference. Also there is much more fan noise at default power profile. I am also waiting for proper dynpm implementation. Currently "dynpm" never goes to "low" and there is no fidderence between dynpm and default... It doesn't needed too hard to implement...

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight View Post
          Yes, it's huge difference. Also there is much more fan noise at default power profile. I am also waiting for proper dynpm implementation. Currently "dynpm" never goes to "low" and there is no fidderence between dynpm and default... It doesn't needed too hard to implement...
          I dont know what model card you have or what cooler it has, but mine didnt sound any different between "low" "med" and "high" manual profiles. on low mine ran at ~104F, and on high ran at ~140F, but mine is a Factory OC Card, and has an improved cooler, so i dont have a clue on what it does with stock cooling/other chips. Mine is a radeon 5770, and im not gonna benchmark it to actually verify it, but im willing to say there isnt much difference between mid and high settings on this card (with the current state of radeon/r600g), even with a stock 5770

I totally agree with you though, they need to have dynpm go to low on desktop cards (i read it can cause problems with laptop chips, so i wont dis how it works there)

I am a n00b at forums, so this may be a little confusing. no anger intended.

Comment

... and it would also be nice if dynpm would work with multi-head.

Comment

When did you try dynpm for the last time? I had the same problems, but with 2.6.38 it works like a charm
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                When did you try dynpm for the last time? I had the same problems, but with 2.6.38 it works like a charm
                I tested with 2.6.38 now, on Idle desktop With, Northern Island, 6850 card.

"low > power_profile" ~140W
                "default > power_profile" ~180W
                "dynpm > power_method" ~180W

Also dynpm flickers on frequency switching.
                Problem is dynpm does not switch low profile even on idle desktop or if you switch to terminal window...

Comment

Dynpm does not use profiles at all. So it can't switch to the low profile.

Dynpm adjusts the voltage and clocks to deal with the expected workload. It does not switch between profiles.

Have you left it alone for 5 minutes or so? The temp should go down considerably. It is not immediate.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    Have you left it alone for 5 minutes or so? The temp should go down considerably. It is not immediate.
                    I can confirm that dynpm works better. It went down from 60?C to 44.5?C when enabled on my system.

Comment

Working...
                    X