Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland For The Ubuntu Unity Desktop Redux

Phoronix: Wayland For The Ubuntu Unity Desktop Redux

While there have been some battles waged recently between Canonical and GNOME developers over collaboration with regard to the Unity desktop shell and revenue sharing for purchases made within their online music store (even this morning with another post by Mark Shuttleworth), on a more positive and productive note: how's the Wayland plans coming along?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've always had lots of reasons to shun non GTK/Qt applications, so I don't mind becoming a toolkit purist again in order to get X.org off of my system. I've been playing around with Nouveau and all those for a long time now, I can't wait to try Wayland, even if it means giving up Firefox, Chrome, and LibreOffice for a few years.

Comment

It might be better to contact folks at Red Hat since Fedora will probably have a working implementation of wayland way before Ubuntu does. Fedora had KMS (or sorts) running 18 months before most other distributions used it at all

Comment

Well the people following Planet Ubuntu/Gnome/KDE blogs will have noticed that the GNOME vs. Canonical & KDE conflict is getting a bit out of hand, with Mark being disappointed how the freedesktop.org standards Canonical & KDE worked on are ignored by GNOME. This conflict is taking most of his time now and I doubt he will closely follow Wayland etc. meanwhile. Hopefully the conflict gets sorted until at least the Desktop Summit in August.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Well the people following Planet Ubuntu/Gnome/KDE blogs will have noticed that the GNOME vs. Canonical & KDE conflict is getting a bit out of hand, with Mark being disappointed how the freedesktop.org standards Canonical & KDE worked on are ignored by GNOME. This conflict is taking most of his time now and I doubt he will closely follow Wayland etc. meanwhile. Hopefully the conflict gets sorted until at least the Desktop Summit in August.
          It goes both ways. Canonical only works good with other people when it suites them.

Right now people are shitting all over Gnome (unjustifiably), but the thing to remember is that all Gnome wants it to make good software that anybody can use for Free and they are doing it the best way they know how.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
            It goes both ways. Canonical only works good with other people when it suites them.
            I suppose you didn't read the discussion, because you would know saying this about Canonical isn't related to discussion at all. You will realize this is more suitable to gnome developers.

Right now people are shitting all over Gnome (unjustifiably), but the thing to remember is that all Gnome wants it to make good software that anybody can use for Free and they are doing it the best way they know how.
            This is untrue. There are valid points made by A. Seigo, so people (including some gnome and ex-gnome developers) are shitting all over gnome, because they have valid reasons to do so. Sadly, they don't know how or their vision is broken. Looking at gnome 3 I have the feeling they they're doing it just for themselves.

Comment

In order to have wayland ready you have to have people working on it. Afaik only Kristian and Benjamin Franzke are working on it and i am not sure if it is the only project they focus on. There has been some interest from people that work for Canonical -one of them wrote something about input stuff in the mailing list- but i don't think any of them is working on the missing parts of wayland. There will be no "special cases" unless wayland is complete.

Also this.
              http://wiki.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas (Wayland Ideas)

Comment

I'm happy to see this moving along at a much faster pace than I could have anticipated. When I first heard of Wayland the idea sounded great but I figured it was just a pipe dream. Much to my surprise and pleasure the project is moving along and picking up steam. Someday the dream of being able to ditch the archaic and heavily encumbered X may be realized. I look forward to that day.

Comment

I hope Wayland will allow something similar to ctrl-alt-del to get out of non-responding apps by default like in Windows.

Since graphics drivers are now in the kernel, I doubt Wayland will be able to do much to solve graphics problems locking up the entire computer though. The kernel devs really went south on that decision. I can understand why you want to have pretty graphics early in the boot process like Mac does, but apparently there is no fall-back or some kind of protection against graphics driver crashes yet. You'd think such a thing would be mandatory before kernel graphics driver use would be adopted.

Comment

As a side note, it's sad hearing about Canonical talking about desktop.org standards, and also them pushing open cloud standards with OpenStack, yet distro-agnostic Linux software package installation standards are still non-existent. They talk about encouraging healthy ecosystems, well the Linux software ecosystem would be a billion times healthier if anyone could install any software they wanted to from a good intelligent packaging standard.

What in the hell is Oil Rush going to use for it's release for Linux anyway? Some lame proprietary installer no doubt, which may or may not put a shortcut for both running the game as well as removing it into the Gnome menu. How 1995 is that?

Comment

Working...
                    X