No announcement yet.

Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, I do think this could be a fun game. There are some concerns which I totally understand-- the one-license per platform thing was really "bad manners," and the "beta" should have been a free demo (it is just about the right size for a demo.)

I did encounter some consistent crashing with it, see the backtrace I provided in the other thread.

Despite these problems, the game looks promising and I don't regret preordering. But I can see how for someone else, this would be a dealbreaker. Basically, the sooner you get this fixed and the sooner you get this new download available, the less bad press you'll get.

Comment

I've never pre-ordered a game in my life and can't imagine why anyone would for an unknown game, from an unknown dev. Perhaps if they'd opened a public beta at the same time as they started taking pre-orders, more people would be willing to commit money to this product.

Tying you to one platform is also kind of dumb. I've got Win/*nix and there's a good chance I can't play it on *nix.

Comment

I'll buy it when it's released. I haven't forgotten UT3. 700 people seem to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          I'll buy it when it's released. I haven't forgotten UT3. 700 people seem to have.
          Comparison to UT3 isn't accurate. Many of us have been playing the OilRush Beta (alpha ) natively under Linux. No one except perhaps Ryan Gordon played UT3 natively under Linux before its supposed release.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
            And, what hits my eyes, immediately. A huge Dragon Age II wallpaper ad...
            Nice to see another uninformed smart arse who doesn't read the articles of the sites he visits

Comment

Why does everyone keep calling this an RTS?

Haven't they been pretty consistent that this was always meant to be a tower defense game? I feel like people are mad that it's not a deep RTS when Unigine has always said from the start it wouldn't be one.

Anyway, the lack of sales is extremely easy to explain.

Marketing. Or rather the lack of it.

The only place I've ever heard of this game is from Phoronix, and half the readers here can't even run it because it doesn't support the open drivers. Phoronix isn't that big of a market to begin with, even before cutting it in half.

Presumably, Unigine and Michael thought that word of mouth would promote this game for free, and it still might, but that's not going to happen until a few issues are fixed.

First, the game needs to actually be released. This pre-release alpha stuff won't cut it. Second, and this is related, is that most of the people who have tried it say it's buggy. That just makes me, and anyone I might spread the word to, want to wait for a little while, to see if it gets fixed or not. If not, then I don't want to support them anyway. But hopefully, that will get addressed soon and before the final release, and at that point I'll actually consider buying this or spreading the word to others.

Just getting this thing on Steam will do wonders for their bottom line, though. 1 ad there will net them more sales than their going to get from a dozen Phoronix articles, they just have to pay for it.

Comment

A public demo is unavoidable. Or somebody "leaks" an early beta via Torrent. I am interested in OilRush, but I at least want to be able to test if it even works on my hardware before I buy it.

Could one of the pre-orderers provide screenshots under a free license, so I can distribute them to some major german linux/gaming websites? Maybe they'll feature OilRush.

Comment

There will be an updated build available for pre-order users tomorrow (if it will pass QA tests).

Comment

Dude

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
                    A public demo is unavoidable. Or somebody "leaks" an early beta via Torrent. I am interested in OilRush, but I at least want to be able to test if it even works on my hardware before I buy it.
                    Did you try Heaven ?
                    It's the same engine.
                    Most problems should make graphics and therefore the benchmark would show you if you could run it on which graphics-level. Try turning the profiling on and see what needs most of the time. And also try lowering the settings till you get 'playable' fps.

Ever played a demo of a board or card game? The old-school ones without electricity

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    Am I wrong? Could I play this game on my Core i3 with the open-source Intel drivers?
                    Originally posted by cynyr View Post
                    the requirement for even an 8600GT on linux seems to be all sorts of odd. Considering about 1/4 of the results for the 2010 graphics survey were "intel"
                    Intel graphics are not the way it's meant to be played
                    Not even on windows.
                    Nvidia and AMD are for now the players on that section.
                    Just try for yourself with any decent game with aa to aaa graphics ( if you can find any demo )

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
                    Well since i can't find the edit button, let me add that the hardware requirments does in no way say which drivers will be needed. So it looks like radeon or that opensource nvidia one that i can't remeber how to spell are supported as long as you have one of certain type.

Also no info on which libC you need (not all of us run ubuntu) or for that mater any other system libs. I hope you are not bundling them as that is just asking for a huge security hole later...
                    You forgot to ask about which version of gnome-kde-lxde-xfce-...-compiz-mutter-alsa-openal-... you need
                    Just look at the windows-box-games: What do you find?
                    - Windows version
                    - processor
                    - gpu (typ, not version or typ of driver)
                    - ram
                    - hd-free-space
                    - soundcard (typ, not version or typ of driver)
                    - peripherals (typ, not version or typ of driver)

Nothing about version of dx or physix or .Net or drivers or any other software.
                    LGP has little bit more. Nice. But also nothing about specific about e.g. gpu

Other linux games also put required libs in the game. Why not? You can change them if you like. But for them it's easier because everyone has so the same libs. And even in years when you install you have all the 'old'-libs again and can play.

Originally posted by binstream View Post
                    There will be an updated build available for pre-order users tomorrow (if it will pass QA tests).
                    *Yeahy*
                    Ready for weekend
                    Will there be some changelogs?

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
                      Did you try Heaven ?
                      It's the same engine.
                      Does Heaven have to deal with AI, networking, complex physics etc. at the same time? No, it doesn't. So Heaven and OilRush are not comparable.

Comment

Working...
                      X