No announcement yet.

Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this game has ton of potential still, the war to capture the consumer is not over.

they should focus on the issues mentioned here (that's why is beta, so they can fix the issues).

Also, let users download it for the OS's they want (a computer is a computer)

they also should release a playstation 3 version (well, at least after they release it on places like steam).

anyway, i haven't preordered myself (yet), because my laptop only has a 8400 geforce, so i that's below the minimum requirements..., but i'll be upgrading it in a couple of months so maybe i'll be able to get the final version by then ;/

Comment

i pre ordered and whilst i appreciate it's in development still it was very crashy.

Also, it simply wasn't any fun to play. Just a lot of moving units around to counter the other players moves, no real variation or tactics.

Comment

Originally posted by ean5533 View Post
        I think that sums it up pretty well right there.

The Linux community has an unfortunate quality of being very vocal, but only when it doesn't like something. Except for Miles's passionate (though slightly rude) posts, I've only seen people complaining about this game; no one has said a word about how glad they are to see a modern game where the Linux version is treated as an equal to Windows version.

And this negative attitude isn't anything new. In "the beginning", Linux users (myself included) were bitching because publishers weren't making any games for Linux. Then, simple games started appearing, which Linux users didn't buy as they moved on to bitching about publishers not making any high-tech games. Now a high-tech game has appeared (though unfinished), and still it is met with nothing but scorn.

What are Linux-friendly publishers supposed to think when all they receive from the Linux community is bile?
        I fully agree. I have nothing against opinions. I, too, think that the gameplay must have much more depth, for the game to succeed. But I'm sure thoughts could be shared without insulting the publishers/developers effort or common sense: 'boring and stupid name', 'crappy game', not reading requirements/about updates/fixes, ignoring the reality and quality of the OSS divers etc.

Comment

I completely agree too!

Originally posted by urfe View Post
          I fully agree. I have nothing against opinions. I, too, think that the gameplay must have much more depth, for the game to succeed. But I'm sure thoughts could be shared without insulting the publishers/developers effort or common sense: 'boring and stupid name', 'crappy game', not reading requirements/about updates/fixes, ignoring the reality and quality of the OSS divers etc.
          Instead of insult we should be grateful that somebody is making games for our favorite platform and that is taking it as first class citizen. They took the job to program no less than a complete graphics engine, and this is just the first game that it comes for it. It might not be perfect, but for sure, success comes after a lot of errors.
          Keep the good work guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
            Intel graphics are not the way it's meant to be played
            Not even on windows.
            Nvidia and AMD are for now the players on that section.
            Just try for yourself with any decent game with aa to aaa graphics ( if you can find any demo )
            You're right that Intel graphics are about the slowest (and maybe buggiest) thing you can get for 3D graphics. My point was that if they want to sell their game, it had rather actually work on people's machines. If that means the graphics shouldn't be "AAA", then that's what it means. A game is first and foremost about the gameplay, not the graphics. They have it backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by ean5533 View Post
              Except for Miles's passionate (though slightly rude) posts

Just made me re-read my post, since I was pretty sure it wasn't rude, just rubbed some people the wrong way.
              Actually it is, I just looked the definition for "prick" and now I understand where its meaning "ridiculous or abusive person" comes from (same origin as "dick", which I don't use for this reason). Goes for not being a native speaker, but nevertheless I'm sorry I used it.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                You're right that Intel graphics are about the slowest (and maybe buggiest) thing you can get for 3D graphics. My point was that if they want to sell their game, it had rather actually work on people's machines. If that means the graphics shouldn't be "AAA", then that's what it means. A game is first and foremost about the gameplay, not the graphics. They have it backwards.
                Oil Rush works on peoples machines. Got access to mine today and it run without problems. Ok, I have a Radeon HD4770 with fglrx but it works.
                Many games on windows with good graphic engines won't work on intel graphic chips. But also these games are selling. We are in 2011 and should push forward

I think selling a game should not be about selling it to every people on this planet (or everywhere else). It should reach the right people. It should be a game "from gamers for gamers" not just crappy mainstream.
                A big part is gameplay. You are right. But please don't make it mainstream-gameplay.
                Mainstream will get you more profit but I for myself am not satisfied with that. I like games which challenge me. I don't want an interactive movie and all the other things done to make games playable and "easy to get through" for everyone.

A game that has gameplay not made for mainstream has a smaller userbase.
                But (!) it is high-likely that they have hardware that can run games especially those with higher systemrequirements .
                So why not use a good graphics engine ? They have it. They should use it.
                Last games selling for Linux with nice 3D graphic engines were something like ET:Quake Wars, Prey, Serious Sam 2, X3, Savage2 - years before now.
                And showing the world "Hey, look! Linux can run AAA-graphic titles. Even with DX11 things you will not get on Windows Vista, XP and below."
                I think this is a really good thing. Hopefully there will be much more games coming to Linux with this step taken.

We will see how the gameplay will be in the end in Oil Rush. There are still 3 month left and maybe even more if they shift the release. Letting preoderers play it now will highly improve gameplay because they are giving feedback. And they do as I could see in there forum. And I think that Unigine will improve this game even after release. So we shouldn't worry till the release

Comment

I've preordered this game, despite not having time to play it, nor expecting it to be great, just to support game with great engine on Linux. It was my first preordered game ever, and it was only because it was for Linux. I expect Witcher 2 to be far better game, and I did not preorder it, because i don't know how well it will work under linux(probably by wine).
                  Releasing on Linux definitely gives some new customers(fe: me). I did not however poke 100+ people to buy OilRush nor did I bought it five times (as i did with HIB2), because I'm not sure if game is great(I was sure with HIB). Maybe I will later, when game is released and I will be sure that it is fun to play.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                    Windows games are released all the time that don't work well on Intel GPUs, and Windows probably has a greater percentage of Intel users than Linux does.. Granted, the Windows users interested in games who have Nvidia/AMD cards outnumber Linux gamers with any GPU.

Comment

There was no news @ www.pcgh.de of the release ... you guys at Unigine are doing great technical work ... but to sell games you also new to get the word out ...

Comment

Working...
                      X