Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

modding capacities

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
    I got Lugaru HD and played it. Was fun. Overgrowth will definitely be interesting.
    So, 'Oil Rush' have a better engine. Should they also take 29,95$ ? Maybe a bit more ? Around 39,95$ ? Maybe for that amount they could give you a Win and Lin version. But would you buy it ? Why then not buy a Win and a Lin version ?
    But why should you buy two versions? Test with Heaven what should be better for you. Phoronix often showed that the Unigine-engine is nearly the same on both os. [...]
    Ooh, a new game.
    Do not expect anything.
    Do expect nothing at all.
    Just play it with absolutely no comparison in mind.
    Just play it like it would be your first game ever.
    Get amazed.
    Here is a video for Lugaru: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Dc5oUzib8

and here is a video for the upcoming game Battlefield 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Dc5oUzib8

For 12 year old kids there is no chance they would choose Lugaru, if they had the hardware supporting both. 31 yo intellectualsuals, perhaps yes (as they think in terms of support). These kids would probably demand(LOUDLY!!!) the Frostbite engine, to which the Unigine engine is an equivalent, but not equally well supported in terms of _available_ games.

What I think is correct is that Battlefield 3 could have been made for Linux as well, given today's technology. However, the financial incentive is not there, in particular as Sony is fighing off any attempts to support their own platform by will (they need a contract).

So, the Unigine engine is an excellent choice. It has the capacities. It has the Linux developer base ready to start using it.

IF (and only IF), i.e. IFF, they make it possible to use maps "cross-platform", then, the Linux user base , could make a serious contribution.

But, and this is a BIG BUTT, the number of modelers and map-enthusiasts are greater in other camps, by sheer numbers.

So, my final rantings for the Oil Rush developers would be, please make any MODs which are cross-platform. That is the only short term hope I can think of.

MODs do get users involved!!!
    Last edited by sabriah; 13 March 2011, 11:13 AM. Reason: mispelling ;)

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post

and here is a video for the upcoming game Battlefield 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Dc5oUzib8

For 12 year old kids there is no chance they would choose Lugaru, if they had the hardware supporting both. 31 yo intellectualsuals, perhaps yes (as they think in terms of support). These kids would probably demand(LOUDLY!!!) the Frostbite engine, to which the Unigine engine is an equivalent, but not equally well supported in terms of _available_ games.
      If I had a 12 year old kid I would not allow it to play games for the age of 18 and up. Parents should take more control over there children ...

What I think is correct is that Battlefield 3 could have been made for Linux as well, given today's technology. However, the financial incentive is not there, in particular as Sony is fighing off any attempts to support their own platform by will (they need a contract).

So, the Unigine engine is an excellent choice. It has the capacities. It has the Linux developer base ready to start using it.

IF (and only IF), i.e. IFF, they make it possible to use maps "cross-platform", then, the Linux user base , could make a serious contribution.

But, and this is a BIG BUTT, the number of modelers and map-enthusiasts are greater in other camps, by sheer numbers.
      But this is just because these games are (or were) just for windows and these games were good. Good games have the potential to get a userbase which will make mods if that's possible. Not the other way round.

UT2003/4, Quake3 are available for linux and are modable. There are some mods which also work on linux but not all. And it's not like these mods attracted people to buy the game to just play the mod.

So, my final rantings for the Oil Rush developers would be, please make any MODs which are cross-platform. That is the only short term hope I can think of.

MODs do get users involved!!!
      They said that they release a ModSDK when the game is released. So we need to be a little bit patient.
      But (!) I doubt that it will help that much.
      The big modding platforms are Half-Life, Quake, UT, Battlefield.
      They are all first-person-shooter.
      RTS have also communitys with modder and mapper. But they aren't as big as these others.
      And for Oil Rush it will be really hard to get a stable-over-time modding community up and running if the ModSDK will only support mapping and modeling because it's not that kind of game (for now; we will see what is coming) you play excessively over years.

I for myself hope that they will allow us to make also total conversions so we would have the chance to make anything.
      That is why people use the UDK -- it's big, it's fancy, comes with lots of tools and stuff, makes it possible to create anything you like and it's free to use for little things. (Unigine would do good to have also it's Engine being used like that.)

A big part is also publicity.
      And that (many times said now) is what is missing for Oil Rush.
      But you can't really give a big preview because it's not not finished.
      Wait 1-2 month and then look how things are going. How far the development is gone. Then get the word out in the world and attracked people. Just as you say go also for the modding community e.g. on Desura and moddb because these are the places to go.

Comment

One of the 800 who pre-ordered the game.
        Told my friends, got two others to pre-order that was the extent of my advertising for it.
        Not even Omg ubuntu or its gaming cousin site ubuntu gamer covered that the game was taking pre-orders i think (i could be wrong of course) and yes OilRush has been buggy on the 64bit linux platform with random CTD but its been happening less with the new version that has been released.

Comment

Same link.

Comment

But this is just because these games are (or were) just for windows and these games were good. Good games have the potential to get a userbase which will make mods if that's possible. Not the other way round.
            Nope. Mods may only appear if:
            - game has "soul", and
            - game has modding feature present

An example may be Stalker. First part was plain bugged, short, cut. But it had lua and mod support from the start and huge amount of mods appeared. Same for fallout3/vegas, fallout3 was very empty and only with mods(especially those 6 big mods, which eventually evolved into DLC) has it reached acceptable level.

Comment

That is why people use the UDK -- it's big, it's fancy, comes with lots of tools and stuff, makes it possible to create anything you like and it's free to use for little things. (Unigine would do good to have also it's Engine being used like that.)
              This is called a proprietary drug syringe. Starting from first versions of DOS, all microsoft software was using this addiction model. Software will be totally free, but until its established as monopoly or until it is accepted as de-facto standard.

Comment

I'd be far, far more interested in supporting game engines or games which would be open sourced after their development was paid for.

Demos greatly help pre-orders as well, especially for new game studios or titles that no one trusts will be good yet. If it's so buggy, that could be why there was no demo.

I haven't heard anything through the gaming grapevine about this game, but again, what do you expect from a brand new game and publisher? Or is it a matter of most all gaming sites wanting money for "reviewing" a game? Of course you can't expect high pre-order sales though if no one is mentioning it, and don't expect high post-release sales unless, oh I dunno, the game actually turns out to be a great one.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Nope. Mods may only appear if:
                  - game has "soul", and
                  - game has modding feature present

An example may be Stalker. First part was plain bugged, short, cut. But it had lua and mod support from the start and huge amount of mods appeared. Same for fallout3/vegas, fallout3 was very empty and only with mods(especially those 6 big mods, which eventually evolved into DLC) has it reached acceptable level.
                  I did not say what a "good" game should be like because everybody has a different definition of there "good". I can't talk about Stalker and Fallout because I didn't play them but I heard a lot about them. Big hypes were made before release and many peopled actually played these games and as I heard they thought about them as "good" games.

Maybe it helps to include empty spots in a game -- with modding in mind the user would just will up these gaps (as they do) if they like the game and feel to make more out of it.

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  This is called a proprietary drug syringe. Starting from first versions of DOS, all microsoft software was using this addiction model. Software will be totally free, but until its established as monopoly or until it is accepted as de-facto standard.
                  I don't quiet understand the DOS & M$ comparison. They sold there products and bundled it with computer. It was not for free although people were pirating it.
                  M$ also used a big amount of money and lawyers to put there software somewhere.
                  Releasing software as freeware can't now be taken back. The internet doesn't forget

Totally free is also a word I would not apply to these freeware. It belongs to OpenSourceSoftware with what you are totally free.

It would be nice to have an opensource-SDK powerful as UDK or Unigine Engine but it's not there. So one way would be to create one our self but that is kind of ridicules for now. Maybe if building upon something like id tech 4 (should be open sourced this year) then there could be a way to create something like that.

Comment

Why TF would I pre-order. Make the game and release with full cross platform capability. I'll play it on windows but I'll buy it specifically because it supports linux. Just like all the humble bundles etc.

Comment

• We're still talking about a new company (first game) new engine (only graphic demo so far now) and not even a playable demo/trial.

Rather say "just 800 pre-orders" I would point 727 out of 800 are linux user who trust in the project and just 81 out of 800 windows user.
                      And don't forget we're talking about the "so large number of windows user around the world".

Probably there about 3000 or more windows user around there which were used to pay 20~30$ for a card game "solitary 2.0" and don't give a ** about uningine.
                      Comparison with battlefield/modern welfare are misleading since we're talking about real time strategy.
                      The last bestseller we can make comparison with would be StarCraft II, but I don't see why 1million of windows user who bought it wouldn't be interested in OilRush. (I mean: 87? really?)

Comment

Working...
                      X