Unigine OilRush Barely Does 800 Sales To Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sturmflut View Post
    Does Heaven have to deal with AI, networking, complex physics etc. at the same time? No, it doesn't. So Heaven and OilRush are not comparable.
    Have you look at the profiler?
    On my pc most work does rendering and that is done by gpu.
    CPU is nearly not in use by heaven.

So I think that if graphics are acceptable your gpu is quite ok and I assume your remaining pc-parts are not bad either and your cpu is idling on the benchmark so that doing in some gameplay wouldn't overpower your pc.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
      Ever played a demo of a board or card game? The old-school ones without electricity
      Ever bought a board game, only to get it home to find out that it's incompatible with your table?

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarott View Post
        *Yeahy*
        Ready for weekend
        Will there be some changelogs?
        Yes, sure there will.

BTW here are some links to previews: http://oilrush-game.com/press/

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
          well, part of the reason sales have been low is that nobody BUT Phoronix is covering Unigine news.
          Same point of view that marketing WoW! machine is not working in full power. But i like to add.. what games have huge preorders?
          Answer:
          1) Genres that have active fanbase but for some reason have no decent titltles on market for some time.
          2) Famous sequels

Im even not downloaded game demo yet.. because i hear/see words generic RTS.. noting new/original.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterIO View Post
            Yeah yeah, exactly what you said, that's why I love "Europa Universalis III"!
            Europa Universalis isn't a tower defense game . As a RTS game though, it's one of the best, and one of the only ones to really offer a challenge against the AI.

Wasn't Svartalf in discussions with Paradox for porting EU2 to Linux?

Comment

The real reason that this doesn't sell is because it's not on IGN. Send them a copy and Gamespot too and get massive free marketing

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                The real reason that this doesn't sell is because it's not on IGN. Send them a copy and Gamespot too and get massive free marketing
                Well, that depends! I doubt that the comments on metacritic about DA2 will help its sale numbers, for example! But they're so much fun to read! And to think I didn't like even DA:O! I just wonder what kind of sphincter is this new DA2!

Comment

Originally posted by Larian View Post
                  Miles, buddy, we seem to be embroiled in a massive misunderstanding. If I understand you correctly, you find fault with those who don't want to buy everything released for Linux. I just don't think this is a defensible position. It's not that Oil Rush isn't 100% in my comfort zone, it's that it is 100% OUTSIDE my comfort zone. It's not my thing. If I understand your reasoning correctly, am I not also preventing Photoshop from ever appearing natively for Linux by not purchasing other commercial software like CAD suites? And if I'm wrong, how are these two arguments different?

As to "backstabbing" games, did I do this? (You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.) My apologies if I came across that way. I wrote a post intending to address a logical fallacy which drives me up the wall. That post wandered a bit, yes. But I blame my poor editing and NyQuil.
                  I don't have a clue what you wrote before, I don't keep all post in a table to make sure who said what. All I know is if I'm quoting you, then I'm replying to you, if not it could be something you said as well as what another person wrote. I didn't quote anybody specific in my first post, because there were too many posts dooming the game to failure to even keep track of.

What is aggravating isn't people not buying the game - don't like it, don't buy it. What is aggravating is everybody shooting this game down in flames, even though they either base their opinion on hearsay (that actually includes you - I've been playing the games for many hours without any bug since I've done the "erase .conf file trick", and you couldn't say the same about Fallout 3 or Red Alert 3... yet those were not labelled as disappointing, because Windows gamers don't all band on anyone daring to try releasing a game for their platform). What if somebody doesn't like the game enough to buy it, does it really warrant rehashing only bad hearsay when they haven't even tried it?

Maybe you don't like Tower Defense games, I don't fancy FPS, would I go and say bad things about Armed Assault just because I've read some people say the game is bad?

That said, the Unigine guys shouldn't be judged on a beta. I just won't be interested in the game because it's a RTS. I'd like a game that isn't an RTS.
                  Tower Defense. At least try the demo when it's available, it's closer to a Risk on steroids than a traditional RTS.

That statement is as bold as I believe it to be inaccurate. Is the game fun to play? I don't know. It wouldn't be fun for me. I've purchased almost every AAA game Linux has gotten, and look forward to the stuff coming down the pipe. Hell, I was juiced for Primal Carnage until they bailed, and I won't be buying it for Windows as a result.
                  What I meant is whatever the genre, you'll always find people in the Linux world complaining that it's not their favourite genre, and explaining poor sales by the fact it's not the genre they'd have bought. Even games you like, games you bought, you'll find plenty of post explaining that the game is doomed because its not a FPS, or because it's an FPS, or because it's not a RPG, or because it's a RPG, and it never ends. Never mind that said games sell very well on other platforms, be it Windows, Mac or consoles... you'll always have the armchair Linux businessmen telling the publisher he shouldn't even try - and that the fact it doesn't sell is all the publisher's fault, none the market.

Comment

Originally posted by miles View Post
                    ...you'll always have the armchair Linux businessmen telling the publisher he shouldn't even try - and that the fact it doesn't sell is all the publisher's fault, none the market.
                    I think that sums it up pretty well right there.

The Linux community has an unfortunate quality of being very vocal, but only when it doesn't like something. Except for Miles's passionate (though slightly rude) posts, I've only seen people complaining about this game; no one has said a word about how glad they are to see a modern game where the Linux version is treated as an equal to Windows version.

And this negative attitude isn't anything new. In "the beginning", Linux users (myself included) were bitching because publishers weren't making any games for Linux. Then, simple games started appearing, which Linux users didn't buy as they moved on to bitching about publishers not making any high-tech games. Now a high-tech game has appeared (though unfinished), and still it is met with nothing but scorn.

What are Linux-friendly publishers supposed to think when all they receive from the Linux community is bile?

Comment

It's the first game from this publisher so...

Well, I guess that being the first title by this vendor is not helping that much. The engine looks awesome, but I think they will need more than just one title to make some profit. I don't have the hardware right now to play this, but if I had, I surely have preordered a copy.

Comment

Working...
                      X