Thread: Large HDD/SSD Linux 2.6.38 File-System Comparison

Hybrid View

Default Large HDD/SSD Linux 2.6.38 File-System Comparison

Phoronix: Large HDD/SSD Linux 2.6.38 File-System Comparison

Here are the results from our largest Linux file-system comparison to date. Using the soon-to-be-released Linux 2.6.38 kernel, on a SATA hard drive and solid-state drive, we benchmarked seven file-systems on each drive with the latest kernel code as of this past weekend. The tested file-systems include EXT3, EXT4, Btrfs, XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, and NILFS2.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=15771

Default BTRFS sucks for most relevant benchmarks - SQL

Why does BTRFS suck so much for the SQL benchmark that matter most to desktop users (ie. can be directly traced to the performance of firefox's website database)?

Ext3 has barrier=0 as default? Really? Seems strange.

Isn't that a distro-specific thing, though, default mount options?

I'm not sure if the inclusion of a plain HDD was per my request, but either way, thanks. The results were similar on some tests, but also very different on some others, so I think it's a good idea to keep doing it.

(I would assume the ones where the differences were greatest are the most seek-heavy workloads, which also seem like the ones it's most important to optimize in the mechanical HDD case.)

I get confused about all these different benchmarks. Is there a description of all the profiles somewhere? The names of the benchmarks are certainly not very descriptive. For example, for me the main factors in IO performance are:

1) Random write/read of small files (this is 90% operations of a desktop user).
    2) Sequential write/read speed (you are copying/moving files)
    3) Parallel sequential write/read speed (you are copying two big files at once -- ideally the combined speed should be the same as (2), but in reality it is often much lower)

Which benchmarks do I need to peruse to find out how the filesystems do in the described workloads?

Quote Originally Posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    I get confused about all these different benchmarks. Is there a description of all the profiles somewhere?
    http://openbenchmarking.org/tests/pts

Quote Originally Posted by loonyphoenix View Post
    Ext3 has barrier=0 as default? Really? Seems strange.

Isn't that a distro-specific thing, though, default mount options?
    The only distro that I know of that has barriers enabled by default on EXT3 is SuSE/openSUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by deanjo View Post
    The only distro that I know of that has barriers enabled by default on EXT3 is SuSE/openSUSE.
    I am fairly sure that that Red Hat enabled barriers by default in RHEL 6, and although I'm not 100% sure, I believe in recent Fedora releases as well. My source on this is Ric Wheeler, formerly of EMC and who is now the file system manager at Red Hat.

-- Ted