Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was Decided With S3TC & Floating Points For Mesa

Phoronix: What Was Decided With S3TC & Floating Points For Mesa

Last week I mentioned that a developer called for a discussion about merging the OpenGL floating point textures and render targets branch into mainline Mesa. This code has been ready for a while but hasn't been merged due to patent concerns, but to alleviate that while pushing the code forward, the proposed idea was to add a --enable-patented build option. Over the weekend, the discussion continued and it was then also proposed to merge the S3TC texture compression work (another feature where developers are concerned about patent infringement) and to conceal that behind the new build option too. So what happened since and did the work make it into the mainline Mesa Git repository?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I understand the process correctly Mesa has to be rebuild either way if the S3TC work is brought in tree or left as a library

If it's left as a library and it isn't present at compile time Mesa won't have S3TC support again as per my understanding (and I might be wrong)

I'm guessing it would be better to bring it in tree to prevent the library falling out of sync with the rest of Mesa

Comment

Software patents suck.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        If I understand the process correctly Mesa has to be rebuild either way if the S3TC work is brought in tree or left as a library
        Wrong.

If it's left as a library and it isn't present at compile time Mesa won't have S3TC support again as per my understanding (and I might be wrong)
        Wrong.

I'm guessing it would be better to bring it in tree to prevent the library falling out of sync with the rest of Mesa
        There isn't any out of sync problem, an external library for S3TC is a very good solution.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
          Software patents suck.
          the bigger problem is that an open specification decided to use patented stuff IMO

i don't know however if it could be done in another way

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Wrong.

Wrong.

There isn't any out of sync problem, an external library for S3TC is a very good solution.
            So what is correct Mr Smarty Pants?

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
              Software patents suck.
              Damn right. That's why the US residents should finally wake up and do something about it, because "Yes, you can!" and you're most likely the only ones who can.
              If you find anything in the current legislation outrageous, stupid or both, simply start urging your representative to change that and don't forget to be persistent, because they just can't ignore the flood of mail and phone calls forever. If only "bothering your congressman with something like this as many times a day as you can" was made into a competition. The only problem might be organizing something like that on a massive scale and that's when social networks come in. I wonder how much longer is it gonna take before sheeple realize the power of democracy, which they're so unwilling to use.
              I'm quite sure that many Europeans would love to help, but there's probably not much we can do other than showing our support.

Comment

The S3TC library doesn't have to be present at compile time. You can compile it after compiling Mesa, and Mesa dynamically loads it somehow. It's linked at runtime rather than compile time. I think they use dlopen() ? It has a man page that you can read up on if you're interested.

Comment

Obviously the opposite, what else?
                  Also, don't feel offended if someone corrects you when you write yourself that you may be wrong...
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

However, it was pointed out in the mailing list thread that you're going to have to compile mesa *anyway* to get the float support, so it doesn't really matter on top to have s3tc included.

Then the usual benefits, ie one place to go, no bitrot...

Comment

Working...
                    X