Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's Behind NVIDIA's 3D Vision Linux Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Behind NVIDIA's 3D Vision Linux Work?

Phoronix: Who's Behind NVIDIA's 3D Vision Linux Work?

One of the features that's supported by NVIDIA's binary Linux driver that is not supported -- nor has even been attempted -- by the community Nouveau project or any other open-source project is for 3D Vision / 3D Vision Pro. 3D Vision is NVIDIA's technology that combines their consumer and workstation GPUs with specialized glasses and capable displays/projectors to provide a realistic 3D experience. 3D Vision Pro is effectively the same but with a focus upon the professional/enterprise markets by creating an immerse experience in Autodesk, Maya, and other costly applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"or any other open-source project is for 3D Vision / 3D Vision Pro."
    hmm Michael , you discount x264 3D encoding then , their setting the standard for OSS 3D encoding today as the only open SVC/MVC Encoder to date

Comment

3D Vision (Pro) on Linux has been supported for a long time on professional Quadro cards, so this is no news at all.
      If they announce 3D Vision support for Geforce cards on Linux like they have on Windows, then it's good news.

Comment

Does any one know if this works with StarCraft 2 under wine yet? Apart from 3D Blurays StarCraft 2 is the only other 3D app I'm interested in

Comment

it would be great, to make games native for linux...

Comment

Who's behind this work? The movie industry. Many people still think Linux is only used for the rendering of movies, but Linux is the primary workstation OS for all animation and effects. You can't see a blockbuster animation/VFX movie today (and the last ~10 years) where Linux hasn't been used as the platform for content creation, besides rendering.

And since "3D" (meaning stereoscopic) is the fad right now, it makes sense for Nvidia to fix bugs for this. Nothing to do with games.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post
              Who's behind this work? The movie industry. Many people still think Linux is only used for the rendering of movies, but Linux is the primary workstation OS for all animation and effects. You can't see a blockbuster animation/VFX movie today (and the last ~10 years) where Linux hasn't been used as the platform for content creation, besides rendering.

And since "3D" (meaning stereoscopic) is the fad right now, it makes sense for Nvidia to fix bugs for this. Nothing to do with games.
              if you believe bridgman AMD dont see any profits in mass Linux video never mind 3D stereoscopic video , but if that's the case how come the worlds SOC providers everywhere are now announcing super low power (less then 1W) SVC/MVC Encoder/Decoder hardware assisted and related products every trade show now!
              it might be a fad but its great for advancing the time line progress and driving down the end user costs of the low power dual/quad core multi purpose SOC's today.

Comment

This is the one thing I really want linux support for. I recently bought a Windows 7 license to go along with my 3d vision setup after having waited for a year for linux support. I could have spent the money on games instead. So AMD or NVidia, which ever gets this right first, you've got my money.
                And no, Quadro cards don't count, as 'you've got my money' means 250? or so, not 2000?.

Comment

Working...
                X