Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Direction Of ATI Radeon Graphics In Ubuntu 11.04

Phoronix: The Direction Of ATI Radeon Graphics In Ubuntu 11.04

With Ubuntu 11.04 arriving in a little more than a month, the key packages to be found in this "Natty Narwhal" release are nearly settled. For those concerned about the open-source ATI graphics stack, the packages to note are the Linux 2.6.38 kernel, Mesa 7.10.1, and xf86-video-ati 6.14.0. What does this mean for the conventional user? This article provides a brief look at the state of open-source ATI in Ubuntu 11.04.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Phoronix
    Right now there is no publicly released Catalyst driver that supports the Linux 2.6.38 kernel and X.Org Server 1.10 as used by Ubuntu 11.04, but this will come with the Catalyst 10.3 or 10.4 releases. If the necessary kernel/xorg-server support does not arrive in this month's Catalyst 10.3 release, AMD once again will be seeding Canonical with a pre-release of Catalyst 10.4 to provide the necessary binary driver support before the Ubuntu 11.04 Beta.
    Catalyst 10.x/11.x

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Catalyst 10.x/11.x

Hmm yes, we seem to be in 2011 now.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

the benchmark show how Catalyst show middle finger to us.

Comment

"We are testing how fast the ati driver is but we are not testing how fast it really is, only how fast it is as default.."?

I happen to have the HD 4670 and I have an Athlon II 240.
          I use Archlinux and git versions of mesa, xf86-video-ati and the drm-radeon-testing branch of the kernel, all build on 20110306.
          I have color tiling and page flipping enabled.

I only run on 1680x1050 and I have these framerates:

Does 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 cause 30% performance drop in Urban Terror or is it only color tiling and page flipping?

I also don't understand the nexuiz result. On the "middle"-preset for the effects I get between 60 and 90 fps constantly.
          Just saying, the statement should maybe a bit weaker than "Ubuntu 10.10 does not produce a playable frame-rate for the Radeon HD 4670 graphics card on the open-source drivers". Especially the second "Shadow"-Option in the effects-pane seems to have a huge impact on performance (on ultra settings with = 2 fps, without = 20-40 fps).

Comment

Mesa 7.10
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by fabioamd87 View Post
              the benchmark show how Catalyst show middle finger to us.
              The benchmark is flawed. He's running the the opensource drivers with SwapBuffersWait on, for maximum fps it must be turned off. It's like having a street car race where one car (radeon) stops for every red light while the other one (fglrx) just ignores them. Of course the car which ignores the red lights is going to win (or crash..).

Not that Catalyst wouldn't have a higher fps anyway but this is not a fair comparison on is not showing the real performance improvements of the oss drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                The benchmark is flawed. He's running the the opensource drivers with SwapBuffersWait on, for maximum fps it must be turned off. It's like having a street car race where one car (radeon) stops for every red light while the other one (fglrx) just ignores them. Of course the car which ignores the red lights is going to win (or crash..).

Not that Catalyst wouldn't have a higher fps anyway but this is not a fair comparison on is not showing the real performance improvements of the oss drivers.
                At the same time then is the Catalyst driver results not fair because Catalyst AI is not manually set to the highest level by default, etc. Testing at the defaults is done for a reason. It's the developers that choose the defaults.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That is a decent argument. It's the default behaviour that people will get without tweaking, but one has to admit that the default Ubuntu behaviour is really stupid (Compiz always on).

Still, it would be nice to benchmark what the drivers can actually do at this moment, especially if we're talking about trivial changes. The way it is right now, you have to add 60% to every number you publish for open source drivers, and this can't be the point of a benchmark.

What about a "default" benchmark (no tweaks) and a "best" benchmark (minor one-liner tweaks that everybody uses anyway)?

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

The benchmark is good. Those are the defaults. This benchmark is only about the default drivers on Ubuntu. Users don't know stuff about swapbuffers and whatnot. They simply use the stuff at the recommended defaults supplied by Canonical.

Comment

Working...
                    X