Adobe Flash Player 10.3 Linux Beta Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what worked for me

I have been messing around trying to get Flash working without tearing for over a month now. This is how I did it.

Install the flash-aid addon for mozilla firefox. Make sure to run it in expert mode. With it, install the stable version of 32-bit flash and remove the old versions. Note the directories where it installs in flash-aid removal options after restarting the browser (don't remove it though).

Then, download the latest 64-bit RC (newer than the version for the beta they have on flash-aid). It will be a unix archive, but you can install this one through flash-aid as well. You have to use the option to install from a local archive (in the advanced mode).

Finally, check where it installed to the second time after restarting your browser. If necessary, copy over the stable flashplugin.so with the new one in any directories if necessary (I don't recall whether this step was done).

For some reason, flash needs both 32- and 64-bit versions installed this way, at least on my system (Sandy Bridge 64-bit Ubuntu, which is prone to tear at 1920x1080 using XV, the renderer for Adobe Flash in fullscreen on my system). Using this I solved the tearing problem, not just for flash at YouTube, but also for downloaded flash in stand-alone players using XV.

Give it a go, and let us know if it works on your configuration.

Comment

Where to I download this latest 64bit rc? The newest one I see on adobe's site is a very old flash square 64 bit.

Comment

Newer version is here

Looks like the newer version just came in. The RC is now outdated. It works fine on my new install, Pinguy OS (Which I might add, is the best Linux distro out there I have tried to date, even better than Mint). Flash was already working for me when I installed Pinguy - they had a slightly older version, but it's still nearly the same thing. Perhaps the RC.

Just download version 10.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmcmpr View Post
          Looks like the newer version just came in. The RC is now outdated. It works fine on my new install, Pinguy OS (Which I might add, is the best Linux distro out there I have tried to date, even better than Mint). Flash was already working for me when I installed Pinguy - they had a slightly older version, but it's still nearly the same thing. Perhaps the RC.

Just download version 10.3.
          Then where's the link to the new 64 bit build?

Comment

Finally hardware video acceleration on NVIDIA 9xxx works properly for me.

Comment

So it's better to use the 64 bit PPA release or this release in a 64 bit OS?

Comment

Just tried the new Alpha 2 of Flash Player 11 and after half a decade of Flash being completely useless for fullscreen video when Composite (Compiz/Kwin) is enabled, they now have fixed that crap. So there's still no video acceleration for AMD and Intel through VA-API (but it should be coming later this year), but watching fullscreen video is now actually doable without turning into a slideshow just by moving your mouse.

Comment

You could sometimes work around this crap by forcing GPU acceleration, but this did not always work and when it worked, the right click menu was corrupted and it didn't work with Vsync enabled. All that is not necessary anymore and fixed, too.

1 minute limit, I hate you.

Comment

So there's is there or is there not a mythical 64 bit build newer than the 10.3 d162 version from flashaid?

Comment

Working...
                    X