Intel Sandy Bridge VA-API Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious about the Arrandale CPU/GPU combos

My interest lies in what the difference might be between the Arrandale setups and these newer ones. This article referenced the previous article about the Clarkdale performance, but it's how well the GPU can do even with a low-power CPU that I'm curious about. I tried digging around a bit on openbenchmarking.org but I couldn't seem to actually find any, for example, i3-330UM tests.

I mean, it's all well and good that the latest and greatest Intel chipsets perform so well for video playback, but in cases like for http://www.system76.com/product_info...roducts_id=106 I'd like to know if an ultraportable that's purely Intel (and thus can be purely blob-free) is up to the task.

I mean, I'd hope so; I play 1080p video all the time on my PIII 600mHz and all it has in it is a GeForce 8400GS, heh, but that's all that computer needs to do; for something like a laptop carried around every day, I'd rather not have to deal with closed-source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Well I started downloading the raw pngs for ED. I'll see what I can come up with for some samples encoded at various levels. I'll also see about creating a VC1 version as well as possible a WebM version.
      make sure you grab and use the very latest x264/ffmpeg git pull's though not some antiquated distro package from last year

http://media.xiph.org/video/derf/y4m/1080p/riverbed.y4m is good

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Test not fair for Nvidia imo,
        Sandy Bridge is the latest greatest from Intel while GeForce 9500 is a (much) older Nvidia product.

I'd vouch at least for Sandy vs GeForce 460+ to call it a fair comparison, not to mention taking a "more real-world" x264 video as other folks implied.
        VDPAU uses the internal Nvidia fixed function ASIC video decoder and that is the same in all of them even the GeForce 460 AFAIK so makes not difference to the result

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
          OC there's also the killasample.mkv Here is a link http://rapidshare.com/files/82525583....x264.mkv.html
          Although a really nice demanding clip the legality of it is questionable as it is a clip from the BBC's documentary living planet and redistribution puts the fairuse into question.

Comment

make sure you grab and use the very latest x264/ffmpeg git pull's though not some antiquated distro package from last year
            Not to worry, I'm usually using daily builds.

Comment

VDPAU uses the internal Nvidia fixed function ASIC video decoder and that is the same in all of them even the GeForce 460 AFAIK so makes not difference to the result
              Actually the decoders performance does vary from generation to generation and performance differences are even noticed with faster larger cards. This is easily verified with vdpauinfo.

Comment

Whats the problem taking ANY h264 clip or movie?

In the end, you will not be broadcasting the clip itself, but will share the benchmarking results. The clip itself will be played on your machine at time of test, without leaving it.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post

In the end, you will not be broadcasting the clip itself, but will share the benchmarking results. The clip itself will be played on your machine at time of test, without leaving it.
                  I won't do any test that is not in the Phoronix Test Suite tree otherwise it cannot be easily reproduced, etc.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post

To get A vs B comparisons you need the same clip. To do this you also have this clip freely available without any potential legal whiplash from the content creator/owner.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      To get A vs B comparisons you need the same clip. To do this you also have this clip freely available without any potential legal whiplash from the content creator/owner.
                      You will not, granted you possess the clip.
                      So if A/B==gfx cards of same owner, owning the clip and only publishing the results - its not a problem.
                      But if A/B==different people with different machines they will all be required to license the clip, its logical. Yes, thats what Michael told me.

And if we create such clip - from big buck bunny lower bitrate h264 as source or multiple big buck bunny screens rendered from one lower bitrate formats into new file especially for phoronix test? It won't be commercial encode, the source is also free - should be no problem. Of course it will require some location to be buffered on the internet.
                      What do you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X