Intel Sandy Bridge VA-API Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliver View Post
    I've been an AMD/ATi fanboy for a long time. I really liked where they where heading in the opensource department too. That said ...

wow, this does look like a really nice and open solution for a mediacenter/htpc. Being able to decode 1080p in hardware with opensource drivers is a big plus for me.

I do have a question though, maybe slightly off-topic. AMD doesn't opensource this bit (yet) because the whole DRM debacle. Now AMD (and nVidia?) say they have specific asic's in their die's for this? UVD, purevideo. Does the intel video chip have this aswell? Or, like I always thought, is UVD, purevideo just some extra functions and does the driver/chip still do most of the heavy lifting via shaders?
    the Nvidia pure-video and indeed the AMD UVD3 are fixed function ASIC as in they cant change much about the bug's inside them to remove the problem without ripping them out and totally replacing them all,and can only work software kludges run on whatever's available to them at the time.

however, by all account's the internal Intel Encode/Decoder is more a collection of basic fixed function and full collection of DSP's with a limited related re-programmability, much like the OMAP 4/5 ARM SOC design.

not as good as say simply sticking a bulk purchased state of the art 1.5GHz Achronix FPGA (apparently priced at ASIC prices to compete today) http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...artup-Achronix
    on there somewhere and charging the end user a few quid more to cover the initial cost's, but far better long term than any fixed function ASIC today as you can just sell add-on functionality and fix found bugs with a simple BIOS/board FPGA update, but apparently that's to expensive and to far an innovative jump for some people in 2011/12, they do love their ASIC markets

Comment

So is VA-API + a Core i3-530 now good enough...
      Such that one doesn't need to bother with a discrete GT_430* + VDAPU?

*I'm also considering a GTX 560 Ti...
      I know it consumes way more power, but it's also a proper gaming card.
      I'm a very casual gamer though, so I'm not sure if its worthwhile.
      There's a single-slot wc block coming soon that can easily be added to my wc loop.
      So the Ti needn't block any of my precious PCI/e slots.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Where is any other high quality sample content that's widely available on HTTP/FTP mirrors and under a free license? I haven't seen such links.
        Here is a bunch of 1080p files that I recorded myself you can test with: http://media.rawdod.com/?dir=/Music%20Videos

If you need me to write some special thing for the license let me know.

Comment

They will never use something which isn't widely available on mirrors because it has to be replicable by other PTS users, as always benchmarks accuracy doesn't matter.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

*I'm also considering a GTX 560 Ti...
            I know it consumes way more power, but it's also a proper gaming card.
            I'm a very casual gamer though, so I'm not 100% sure if it's worthwhile.
            There's a single-slot wc block coming soon that can easily be added to my wc loop.
            So the Ti needn't block any of my precious PCI/e slots.

Comment

Originally posted by jalyst View Post
              Yeah, what's the latest news/tests on higher bitrates? Can I stop buying Nvidia yet? This Sandy Bridge stuff sure looks exciting but I don't wanna be a guinea pig. ;-)

Comment

^This!

Comment

Originally posted by cinar12oto
                  nice song i like it
                  You're now reported.
                  Bye-bye spam p00

Comment

Working...
                  X