Patches Published For Merging S3TC Library Into Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
    Indeed, that would be nice. Why most of the world has to suffer consequences of some law in
    certain country?
    That's very true. I'm totally against the law totalitarism of USA, specially related to technologies (patents, abusive copyright, DMCA...).

Maybe us europeans would need to make the non-us repositories alive again, maybe even distributions for europeans too (or a metadistro)...

Comment

what? You mean something like:
      http://www.medibuntu.org/ ?

Comment

Originally posted by Plombo View Post
        No. The software implementation is patent-encumbered, not just the hardware implementation.
        I still don't understand/admit how a so called Open specification can have been tainted by software patents. Call that ClosedGL or don't-touch-it-GL instead.

Comment

Originally posted by VinzC View Post
          I still don't understand/admit how a so called Open specification can have been tainted by software patents. Call that ClosedGL or don't-touch-it-GL instead.
          Note that S3TC is not required by any OpenGL versions. Floats are, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            there is some rumoring that mark shuttleworth will buy the floading point hdr+s3tc patent to bring freedome to the os driver world.
            haha yeah riiight

mark shuttleworth wants to save the (free) world

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post
              Note that S3TC is not required by any OpenGL versions. Floats are, however.
              It doesn't matter squat what the standard says if 80%+ of apps require that.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                It doesn't matter squat what the standard says if 80%+ of apps require that.
                Yeah, but you can't blame the OpenGL spec for that.

You can blame them for the floating point stuff, though.

Comment

I am not involved in mesa development, so I won't do what I am going to propose, but here is my simple question to everyone involved in mesa or whoever has the time:
                  Did anyone even try to ask the patent-guys from S3 if it's ok to implement their technology in mesa??
                  Maybe we finally get an answer and if so, it is either of
                  • "yeah, no problem, as mesa is a free project" (so mesa can use it directly)
                  • "we had a patent on this? uh, we don't care" (so mesa can use it directly)
                  • "yes, but noncommercial only" (so mesa can use it directly, maybe via configure-switch)
                  • "absolutely not, we sue you instantly and kill your families!1!!" (so licensed users can use it via libdxtn)

Stop thinking+discussing too much and just ASK them!

First ask S3 (or whoever has the patent now). And in the worst case, here is another scenario: look at Blender; people bought it and opensourced it. Just a thought.

btw: Companies gather patents just to protect themselves from other companies with patents:
                  Corp. A: "Hey B, you released some product and we patented technology X you use!1!!"
                  Corp. B: "Well, but you use technology Y and we patented this"
                  Corp. A: "hm, oh well... so we're even, carry on, we were only kidding"
                  Look at early Microsoft/Sun/whatever... they simply used to be techies and did not care about patents. All this patent trolling occurred later.
                  If you'd ask S3, we knew if they are like Evil Corp A or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoo View Post
                    Stop thinking+discussing too much and just ASK them!

First ask S3 (or whoever has the patent now). And in the worst case, here is another scenario: look at Blender; people bought it and opensourced it. Just a thought.

See 4.3
                    Test signature

Comment

What are the (software) products concerned by GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc? Are they an increasing number? Is it the only texture compression method/standard?

Comment

Working...
                      X