Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA nForce 680i

Default NVIDIA nForce 680i

NVIDIA has announced the nForce 600i series today to coincide with the GeForce 8 launch (as well as their LAN party). The Chipset models are the 650i Ultra, 650i SLI, and 680i SLI.

600 Series: http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce_600i.html

PR: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_37234.html

We hope to comment on the Linux compatibility and performance next week (ideally) after receiving motherboards based upon this new Chipset series.

Hi Michael:

I was just going to post about this chipset! I would assume that Nvidia has great support for the motherboard using their proprietary drivers. I was really interested to see how the SATA raid options would work under Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by afterburntdw View Post
    Hi Michael:

I was just going to post about this chipset! I would assume that Nvidia has great support for the motherboard using their proprietary drivers. I was really interested to see how the SATA raid options would work under Linux.
    Actually NVIDIA really hasn't updated their proprietary Linux Chipset drivers... The open-source drivers with NVIDIA's Chipsets have been terrific with forcedeth, sata_nv, hda_intel, etc... The open-source drivers had worked great with the nForce 500 series, and I should be able to confirm the 600 series shortly.

Which brand did you order? I'm particularly interested in the SATA implementation in comparison to the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. It uses a Silicon Image chipset that is completely hardware based and thus transparent to any OS. I would love to move to a 600-based board, but I want to make sure about the RAID options first.

As always, thank you. I enjoy the Linux news you offer on the site!

Quote Originally Posted by afterburntdw View Post
    Which brand did you order?
    Whatever boards manufacturers send out and arrive at our location. Likely it will be some ASUS and Abit ones. I know the new Abit one will be here later in December or early January.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Whatever boards manufacturers send out and arrive at our location. Likely it will be some ASUS and Abit ones. I know the new Abit one will be here later in December or early January.
    I would be very appreciative of any advice or links you can provide for getting linux to work with the 680i chipset; specificly with a 680i hardware sata raid 5 array as the primary (and only) storage.

I've never dealt with sata before and built a new rig on Tuesday with the EVGA 680i board with 3 Western Digital 250GB 16MB cache Caviar drives in a raid 5 taking advantage of the hardware raid support.

Quote Originally Posted by feight View Post
    I would be very appreciative of any advice or links you can provide for getting linux to work with the 680i chipset; specificly with a 680i hardware sata raid 5 array as the primary (and only) storage.

I've never dealt with sata before and built a new rig on Tuesday with the EVGA 680i board with 3 Western Digital 250GB 16MB cache Caviar drives in a raid 5 taking advantage of the hardware raid support.
    Nevermind, I figured this out on my own. The 680i chipset is not 'true' hardware supported Raid, it is hardware-assisted software raid in the same mindset that Virtualization Technology is hardware-assisted software virtualization.

If you want to install Linux on the same "assisted" raid as windows you will need to use Fakeraid support. Here is a Howto page explaining the process in tandem with - my favorite distro - Ubuntu.

Question

anyone have any current info to share about the 680i?

I think I've "settled" on this chipset for now...
    though I was guessing there would be more mobos out by now for this

One day I'll reach Alaska, or die trying!

Well, you're in luck, here's a brand new review of the Asus Striker version. Very impressive, and if I was in the market for a desktop motherboard I'd immediately jump on it.

http://www.hothardware.com/viewartic...leid=919&cid=3

yah, I noticed that one a while back....unfortunately [at the time] it was going to pull a Striker on my wallet...seems as though it still is

BTW ==> Giga~ is releasing their 680i board now.
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/News/Moth...px?NewsID=1314

...who here can actually make immediate use of Quad LAN ?