Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Puts Out The Final WebGL 1.0 Specification

Phoronix: Khronos Puts Out The Final WebGL 1.0 Specification

From the Game Developers' Conference happening this week in San Francisco, the Khronos Group has announced the release of the official WebGL 1.0 specification. This is the OpenGL ES derived specification designed for providing hardware graphics acceleration within HTML5 modern web-browsers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Khronos is ALIVE. This is already great news. >:-)

With 95% modern game developers saying whole opengl is legacy stuff, that "we keep as reminder" - its great to see what google does. Its great to see companies that give 100% support to opengl!

By the way those developers were zombified by microsoft. Because no one else would invest own time to write software that only works when microsoft allows it to work. And microsoft keeps directx to itself because it is professional closed society drug corporation. When LibreOffice starts to open all microsoft office documents they start pouring FUD garbage on it. When WINE starts to run all microsoft-drugaddicted software, adobe starts to put software blocks masked as bugs in its installer and microsoft itself adds detection routines to break itself or refuse to run. Recently microsoft even prohibited GPL. Every time you purchase windows, pay for windows driver or go in internet with windows - you support that.

Comment

Nvdidia blob & Minefield nightly works somewhat ok, chromium works great.

Comment

Robust open driver support for WebGL on Linux is the very top of my wish list.

WebGL is a great way to write fun little games that will run everywhere from the desktop to mobile, and based on the demo's I have seen, I think pushing GL into the browser is going to be monumental in how it opens up 3D development to the masses, especially as combined with the Javascript based utility/wrapper game libraries being ported.

Very exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Khronos Puts Out The Final WebGL 1.0 Specification
          ...In terms of Linux support for WebGL, there are both open and closed-source drivers that support OpenGL ES 2.0. OpenGL ES 2.0 is supported by both the proprietary AMD and NVIDIA Linux drivers...
          This is irrelevant. Right now all WebGL implementations target OpenGL 2.1, not ES 2.0. We still have to see any embedded implementation.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Nvdidia blob & Minefield nightly works somewhat ok, chromium works great.
          It's the absolute opposite here. Firefox 4 is great on nvidia's proprietary driver. Chromium has better output but still unstable and framerates suck big time (~1-9 FPS whereas Fx4 gives ~20-50)

Comment

Damn 1 min edit time.

I forgot to say that the nvidia proprietary driver does not implement the OpenGL ES API yet.

And my second quote was from frostwyrm333, not phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
              Damn 1 min edit time.

I forgot to say that the nvidia proprietary driver does not implement the OpenGL ES API yet.

And my second quote was from frostwyrm333, not phoronix.
              It does support OpenGL 4.1 on relevant hardware, though, which is basically backwards compatible with OpenGL ES.

Not directly useful, but an interesting point of fact.

Comment

How can we tell it's working properly accelerated? I tried a few demos and on some of the least demanding (rotating cube with texture, shiny teapot) got around 35fps on an Atom N270 with GMA950. Is this good or bad? The VBO demo would take a few seconds to render each frame apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  got around 35fps on an Atom N270 with GMA950. Is this good or bad?
                  Considering that you are only able to do software rendering, it is not that bad, actually.
                  Real-World applications will be more demanding though, so you will need a GPU that is capable of hardware-acceleration, that would be practically anyting except Intel Atom GMA.
                  And of course, you still need a reasonable driver, and that would be Nvidia proprietary only, at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    When LibreOffice starts to open all microsoft office documents they start pouring FUD garbage on it. When WINE starts to run all microsoft-drugaddicted software, adobe starts to put software blocks masked as bugs in its installer and microsoft itself adds detection routines to break itself or refuse to run. Recently microsoft even prohibited GPL.
                    Do you have links on this?

Comment

Working...
                    X