No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to install natty today, but the installer crashes every time about 3/4 of the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      I also tried Unity when it came out in the form of Netbook Edition, and even in a 10" netbook screen it was a terrible experience. The thing is most websites are made to work at 1024 pixels wide or greater, and if you take out 40-ish pixels you get nasty horizontal scroll bars. Maybe in touch-screen devices the experience is better, but I can't test that.
      Not too sure about the 10.10 UNE, but the Unity in natty uses "Intellihide" to automatically hide the launcher when you don't need it (e.g. fullscreen windows/browsers).

Comment

Why must there be constant change

More often than naught I find myself longing for the good old days.
        Legacy Linux Linux computing is available now and called Slamd64 12.2; Slackware 12.2 for the 32-bit variety. You'll not find a more polish product than what is comprised of the years of research and design expressed by these two products.

A GUI tool will never be as all-encompassing as a command line tool. You'll always be accepting a default. Let us switch gears as to say, in video games for the longest time you were given a class system in which you had to choose a stringent path.
        Wizard, Warrior, Healer, or Rogue were your basic choices. Then came multi-class, and finally custom made the realization that anyone could competently build a better class through the joy's of experimentation.

Ubuntu and Fedora are practically becoming the Ultima and Final Fantasy video game successions in which the final ones ended up being a pile of crap.

10 or so versions of Ulbuntuma; 15 or so versions of Fedora Fantasy

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
          The thing is most websites are made to work at 1024 pixels wide or greater, and if you take out 40-ish pixels you get nasty horizontal scroll bars. Maybe in touch-screen devices the experience is better, but I can't test that.
          The next big thing: Desktop Zoom!!! Like full page zoom in Chrome, but for the desktop!!!

Originally posted by squirrl
          ...and called Slamd64 12.2...
          Slackware supports amd64 (aka, x86_64, or x64) since version 12, I think. No need to use Slamd64 (but you're free to if you like it, of course).

Comment

Nope, it's since version 13. Anyway, now see here! (the first and third news items from the top)

Comment

[QUOTE=squirrl;181001]More often than naught I find myself longing for the good old days.[quote]

Really, with all the missing hardware drivers, impossible manual installs, and the days spend hacking together an operating system you could use?

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
              A GUI tool will never be as all-encompassing as a command line tool.
              This is true to a point also, but some apps are only GUI tools these days. And the ones that provide options, are included by distributions anyway. So where is the problem?

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
              Ubuntu and Fedora are practically becoming the Ultima and Final Fantasy video game successions in which the final ones ended up being a pile of crap.
              In a Desktop sense, with the move to GNOME 3, and following upstream, this is true to the point of being flashy and shiny. But I disagree wholeheartedly on them being "a pile of crap".

The Fedora 14 release IMO is the best release I've used, in terms of hardware support and ease of use. It's not a flashy desktop by any means, there are a million pages on the internet on how to theme Ubuntu to hell and back, but you'll find few for Fedora.

Ubuntu has it's market, and they've concentrated on combining a lot of desktop integration into some controversial things like the personal menu, notifications, etc. Some of it helps people, a lot polarises people. But not everyone is happy with the status quo, and want to try something better.

You won't find many people who would prefer Windows 95 over Windows Vista, even with some of the UI changes that have come along. The fancy shiney stuff can be disabled if you want to, the basic underlying component is still a good improvement.

And old adage, Don't judge a book by it's cover, seems apt here.

Comment

Proclamation

Let it be known that from this day forward all version of Fedora will so be called, Fedora Fantasy! Then to let us call the Ubuntu, Ultimubuntu!

Comment

Working...
                X