Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 Released

While Red Hat / RPM distribution fans can be celebrating the release of Scientific Linux 6.0, early adopters of Ubuntu "Natty Narwhal" can be testing out the release of Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    RPM distribution fans
    Which retard judges a distribution by its package format. It's not like the format results in actual differences in quality?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Which retard judges a distribution by its package format. It's not like the format results in actual differences in quality…
      Some people simply like it better as a package format. Perhaps they've had better experiences on distributions that used that format than on distributions that didn't (whether related or not), and now they've become somewhat attached. It's a psychological phenomena which can be complicated or simple, depending on who is affected and who's doing the explaining.

Anyway, it's usually a subjective reason, but sometimes there are concrete reasons: One is more or less faster than the other, or it is (perceived, at least) to be more or less reliable, or it's simpler, or....

But, yeah, it usually doesn't effect the quality of the distribution. I don't think anyone was suggesting that anyway, but I didn't want to look like I was ignoring that thought.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        While Red Hat / RPM distribution fans can be celebrating the release of Scientific Linux 6.0
        Wait, what?

We're meant to "celebrate" over Scientific Linux? Fedora 15 Alpha RC images are out for people to test, where's that to "celebrate"?

Comment

Which retard judges a distribution by its package format. It's not like the format results in actual differences in quality?
          I guess I'm "retarded" by your awesome standards (not that I care). I just like Debian package management and find other package management schemes cumbersome or difficult to work with. So .deb based distros are my personal preference, though I'm not one of the people that thinks it should be the absolute standard. I've tried RPM distros and just found them too hard to customize, which may or may not be my fault. Anyway.. I'm drunk and I lost my train of thought, so.....

Comment

Should check my emails more often.

Fedora 15 Alpha confirmed GOLD http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fed...3-02-22.00.txt

* Are we a go? (rbergeron, 22:23:37)
            * AGREED: F15 Alpha RC2 is declared GOLD. Woot. (rbergeron,
            22:24:32)

Comment

It's always funny when people who don't know what they're talking about have the gall to question other peoples' intelligence.

RPM Distributions= any distribution based off of Red Hat. (IE: OpenSUSE, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, etc.) It's not referring to the package management at all, but rather simple shorthand to signify the Red Hat origins.

Back on topic, I've tried Ubuntu and their "Unity" desktop and I'm not impressed. It's a good desktop if you're using a 10-inch touchscreen but for those of us with desktops and big boy monitors, it's a bunch of huge icons cluttering your screen. You can't minimize anything and all of your apps show up in a list of more huge icons, rather than in nice menu with sub-menus. It's not a good desktop environment at all, IMO. But, I might still give Ubuntu 11.04 a whirl just to try out Wayland and some of the other new features. I can always just switch from Unity to a normal Gnome desktop.

Comment

I am sad

To be honest, I am a bit saddened.
                I hope my pessimistic view on changes is baseless, but...
                One of the things, windows adapters hate - when with next release, everything changes around, by means of navigation and graphically, can probably be applied to Linux too.

When people got used to Ubuntu with Gnome(love it or hate it, I just use it, as I don't consider KDE any better) putting them on something else - can be annoying. Especially to those who are not computer literate, or somehow else are dependent on Gnome environment. Does Unity support features for disabled/semi disabled persons?(I really hope it does)

Same can be applied to all sorts of changes across any new release, but IMHO, graphical interface changes shouldn't be welcome, until they actually do life easier, and not like Windows XP to Windows Vista easier, as everyone I know hated this step.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  I guess I'm "retarded" by your awesome standards (not that I care). I just like Debian package management and find other package management schemes cumbersome or difficult to work with. So .deb based distros are my personal preference, though I'm not one of the people that thinks it should be the absolute standard. I've tried RPM distros and just found them too hard to customize, which may or may not be my fault.
                  None of your experiences have anything to do with the package format. None.

All distos using .deb happen to be Debian itself or a derivative. Not all distributions using RPM are relatives to Red Hat. RPM is simply the official LSB standard for Linux software packaging. Even Debian can handle RPMs for that reason.

Different experiences in software installation are caused by package manager, its front-end, the used resolver, etc. but not the package format. PCLinuxOS uses the apt tools, Synaptic etc. together with RPM packages. Any different experiences to ? say Aptosid ? are caused by other factors than package format.

Comment

Originally posted by Ard Righ View Post
                    Wait, what?

We're meant to "celebrate" over Scientific Linux?
                    Good point. I didn't even know what Scientific Linux was until that article, but it seems to be some kind of OS for scientific research labs (?). What's there to celebrate in that? Maybe it's just because I'm not building a Hadron Collider...

Originally posted by SciFiDude79
                    Back on topic, I've tried Ubuntu and their "Unity" desktop and I'm not impressed. It's a good desktop if you're using a 10-inch touchscreen but for those of us with desktops and big boy monitors, it's a bunch of huge icons cluttering your screen. You can't minimize anything and all of your apps show up in a list of more huge icons...
                    One thing I really hate in the direction Gnome is going, is the ever increasing lack of customizability in the name of "simplicity". I also tried Unity when it came out in the form of Netbook Edition, and even in a 10" netbook screen it was a terrible experience. The thing is most websites are made to work at 1024 pixels wide or greater, and if you take out 40-ish pixels you get nasty horizontal scroll bars. Maybe in touch-screen devices the experience is better, but I can't test that.

Comment

Working...
                    X