Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 7.0, OpenGL 2.0/2.1 Support

Phoronix News: Mesa 7.0, OpenGL 2.0/2.1 Support

Last Friday Mesa 7.0 had entered the world. While a number of bugs have been corrected since Mesa 6.5.3, what is most interesting with this release is the support for the OpenGL 2.0 / 2.1 API. We've been waiting on this support so that the open-source drivers can take advantage of it and it's now finally available. Some of the bug fixes in Mesa 7.0 include fixing broken functions, adding some missing functions, correcting values, and other fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please pardon my ignorance, but I am not quite sure what support for OpenGL 2.0/2.1 actually means at the user level. Unaccelerated 3d?

RBM

Comment

mesa is the library that contains 3d code for all the opensource gfx drivers. it also provides software support if some card lack certain features.

e.g. opensource r300 driver has its 3d module in mesa. or the intel driver. etc etc.

implementation of opengl 2.0/2.1 means that those drivers can incorporate new 3d functionality into the specific cards.

Comment

mesa 7.01 came out unnoticed (3 August) http://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes-7.0.1.html

One thing that struck me is the reverting to the old library version number - smart move.

Comment

Working...
        X