No announcement yet.

Unigine OilRush Pre-Order For Linux Now Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's great that it'll come with an SDK. Hopefully developers will create some nice mods for us

Comment

Pre-ordered last night. The game runs at 20 fps with max settings on my Pangolin Performance.

I'm having a fun time with the early build, and I kind of feel that I've already gotten my $20 bucks worth. The graphics are amazing, and the gameplay seems promising, although, I hope it's a bit more fleshed out by the time release comes.

I like the tech-tree, but it seems a bit unpolished, and it doesn't take very long to research everything. I also agree with one of the earlier reviewers that there doesn't seem to be much obvious strategy in manipulating the units, since each of the bases only produces one type, and combining units into an army is rather haphazard.

That aside, the gameplay feels unique, and requires fast paced thinking to succeed. The strategy comes down to capturing the enemy's bases and oil rigs, while making sure that your bases are well-defended with towers, which must be built with oil extracted from the platforms. Most of the levels in this build have only 1 or 2 platforms, making their control vital to winning.

The whole time that this process is going on, you will be receiving experience points to be used in researching different talents on the tech-tree. Some of these are basic passive skills (faster units, better unit/tower weapons, faster oil extraction), while others become abilities (almost like spells), which must be recharged after each use and activated by using oil. Among the more interesting of these are the ability to research nukes, which make for a fun way of sinking on incoming attacks, as well as summoning a submarine.

So, even though I can't find much strategy in the unit selection yet (hopefully this will be improved before release), the gameplay still requires constant attention and fast-paced decision making, which I think are the trademarks of a good strategy game.

My main concern is how much content will be in the final version. I simply can't find any information on it. Normally unreleased strategy games will say how many levels they are going to have. If anyone has any idea how big the campaign will be, please let me know.

If anyone on this forum hasn't pre-ordered yet, I highly recommend doing so. At $20, this game is a steal, and it's probably the best hope for linux gaming that I've seen.

Comment

People seem to be expecting loads from this game.
        It is a $20 game and described as a tower defence game BUT with has some beautiful graphics (and as stated, AAA game rating gfx) but with simple concept and thus allowing them to charge $20

It is a fun concept, you either like tower defense games or not. you can't expect it to play like a RTS.
        As it is it is quite fun, but it does feel like it is lacking something, I am not sure what tho.
        Bare in mind we are not seeing everything this game has atm (concept-wise it will be this) like the chinese-like colonies. I guess these are more for the camp BUT if some SP maps involved these somehow (I dunno trade oil with them for something...) would be a nice additional dimention

SO far I have NOT been able to complete a game because Oilrush keeps crashing.
        I am using 64bit Gentoo with 4Gig RAM and a nv9600GT card.
        I strace the oilrush and got this:

Code:
        Loading "waterwar/config/cut_scene.prop" 19 properties 0ms
        Loading "waterwar/config/game_objects_unit_weapon.prop" 27 properties 1ms
        Loading "waterwar/config/behaviors.prop" 25 properties 0ms
        Loading "environment_day_rainy.world" 364ms
        Init game
        File common_network_statistics/Rain (1 vs 1)_(5-3-2011_20.23.18).txt for common network statistics opened successfully
        File synchronization_statistics/Rain (1 vs 1)_(5-3-2011_20.23.18)_sync.txt for synchronization statistics opened successfully
        Xml::printUnusedData(): unused argument "reflection_mask=0" in "surface" node in "waterwar/nodes/other/progress_bar.node" file
        Object::loadWorld(): different surface names "body_lod2" "lights"
        Object::loadWorld(): different surface names "rock1" "rock1_lod1"
        Game unpaused
        Received signal SIGSEGV, invalid memory reference
        Network shutdown
        [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 1}], 0, NULL) = 4812
        rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
        --- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
        wait4(-1, 0x7fffc1a6fd9c, WNOHANG, NULL) = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)
        rt_sigreturn(0xffffffffffffffff)        = 0
        rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL, [], SA_RESTORER, 0x7fed609b89b0}, {0x43e440, [], SA_RESTORER, 0x7fed609b89b0}, 8) = 0
        rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8)  = 0
        read(255, "", 436)                      = 0
        exit_group(1)                           = ?

Comment

More feedback

Thanks binstream, the anti-aliasing is now on by default.

After more play... I like it! Controlling units is quite simple once you know the basics. Being a Starcraft fan I find them a bit too dumbed down (no micro-management here ) but it's at least refreshing (you don't need 300 actions per minute to be good at this game).

I'm looking forward the next build, because I often suffer crashes with this build (the same as most other people using proprietary nvidia drivers).

Some things I'd like to see:
          • Actions (building tower, for example) shortcuts mapped to keyboard.
          • Stats displayed at the end of a game.
          • Better display for each unit's characteristics (the little square at the lower left of the screen when hovering mouse over a unit is kinda primitive).
          • Also selectable units (at least to be able to check their stats!) would be nice.

Keep the great work, Unigine!

Comment

I've figured out to save often... that way when it crashes, you just load up where you left off, or close to at least.

Comment

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
              I've figured out to save often... that way when it crashes, you just load up where you left off, or close to at least.
              Better: from the OilRush root folder, delete or rename the "oilrush-0.5.cfg" file. Next time you launch OilRush, it will recreate a fresh copy.

Now edit the new "oilrush-0.5.cfg" copy and change the line
              <item name="show_visualizer" type="int">1</item>
              to
              <item name="show_visualizer" type="int">0</item>

The game is now completely stable for me! (Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits with Nvidia 195.36.24 driver)

Credits: kohlykohl3 @ http://www.oilrush-game.com/forum/in...r/page__st__40

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
                Better: from the OilRush root folder, delete or rename the "oilrush-0.5.cfg" file. Next time you launch OilRush, it will recreate a fresh copy.

Now edit the new "oilrush-0.5.cfg" copy and change the line
                <item name="show_visualizer" type="int">1</item>
                to
                <item name="show_visualizer" type="int">0</item>

The game is now completely stable for me! (Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits with Nvidia 195.36.24 driver)

Credits: kohlykohl3 @ http://www.oilrush-game.com/forum/in...r/page__st__40

I was able to complete a game after doing this.

Thanks

Comment

I'll have to try that... what is the show visualizer though?

Comment

Originally posted by skeetre View Post
                    I'll have to try that... what is the show visualizer though?
                    Don't know exactly, seems to display some kind of frame in the game. You can leave it on, you'll see if you like it, but I doubt it.

There's also a "show_fps" switch, which I find useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X