No announcement yet.

Unigine OilRush Pre-Order For Linux Now Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great err.. "summary" there, allquixotic. Out of curiosity, what's your opinion C&C3+KW? I'm *still* playing that, just never seems to get old (started editing existing maps to make them more interesting for massive brutal AI-vs-humans games).

A few things I'd change about OilRush immediately if I could:

Controls. They're not intuitive or easy to use. Some mice have absolutely terribly middle buttons, so using that as a primary control method is questionable. My preferred setup would be:

Right mouse: click and drag to move the camera around. right click to give orders to units (see below)
    Left mouse: select units (see below)
    Middle mouse: rotate camera
    Scrollwheel: zoom in/out (already like that in OilRush)

Ability to control individual units. This has to happen. In every RTS I've played (actually very few: Dune II, Emperor: Battle for Dune, CnC Generals+Zero Hour, CnC3+Kane's Wrath), units are individually selectable and groupable, thus giving great flexibility for individual armies. The control of units in OilRush is extremely limited, and thus makes the gameplay limited.

Unit count limits: Don't be boring, unlimit this stuff. Huge, ridiculous battles are always loads of fun. Nuking hundreds of units all at once? Yes please This contributes significant to ease of play and also replayability. Once I get to a certain point in a game, I'll want to try unconventional/silly stuff to see how ridiculous things can get. CnC3: KW with large dense blue fields of tiberium and brutal AIs is hilarious, sometimes with unit counts exceeding 10,000 after a 35 minute game.

Map editing: do we get an editor at some point? This is a must for the life of the game. If it wasn't for World Builder, I wouldn't have just spent the last year playing Kane's Wrath almost every night So, I'm not overly concerned about campaigns, since that's not what keeps the game playable for months/years.

Overall the technology is great, it runs very smoothly here on my Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHz), and nVidia GTX260-216, Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64, default driver (nVidia 260.19.06), running Compiz and Emerald. Only tried with 1024x768 windowed mode so far, but ~100fps everything on high.

There were several crashes.. I couldn't start any of the non-campaign maps, mostly SIGSEGV errors. I'll wait until Unigine opens the OilRush forum for posting bug reports though.

Comment

"Pre-Order For Linux"

"Pre-Order For Linux" Not that old trick again.
      Let me know when its finished I will buy a copy then.
      Nothing Personal I just don't pre-order anything including but not limited to immortality.
      The in game video looks great though.
      Hope its done soon!

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
        "Pre-Order For Linux" Not that old trick again.
        Let me know when its finished I will buy a copy then.
        Nothing Personal I just don't pre-order anything including but not limited to immortality.
        The in game video looks great though.
        Hope its done soon!
        It's not "that old trick again" since you actually get to download a Linux version, and actually play it.

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
          There is no DRM.
          That is what I needed to hear. Game purchased (for Linux) and downloading now at 3mbps (max speed of my DSL)

Comment

Just finished ordering. I received 4 e-mails in about a minute and am now downloading the game at a reasonable rate.

Comment

Seems fun I guess but it crashes after a few minutes every time so I hope they release a newer version soon.

Comment

Preordered and downloaded the early build. I doubt I will be able to make it run with any degree of performance on my nvidia ION based nettop but I am always happy to support game developers who make an effort to support Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNielsen View Post
                  Preordered and downloaded the early build. I doubt I will be able to make it run with any degree of performance on my nvidia ION based nettop but I am always happy to support game developers who make an effort to support Linux.
                  Thank you for the pre-order!

I have a netbook with ION, currently the game isn't playable on it (10-15 FPS on the lowest settings), but we are working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by binstream View Post
                    Thank you for the pre-order!

I have a netbook with ION, currently the game isn't playable on it (10-15 FPS on the lowest settings), but we are working on it.
                    That would be impressive indeed. These low cost, sufficient computing device are really great and do have a surprising amount of power available for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                      UI is terrible. No tooltips. No documentation. No recognizable UI patterns from other games or desktop apps. Only two very brief tutorials will be your holy bible of how to play OilRush. If you want to get into the game, trust me: play through the tutorials. You won't figure anything out otherwise, and you'll just sit there in your quick match unaware of what to do until the AI obliterates you.
                      I agree that UI still need a lot of work, but there is documentation: take a look at user manual in "docs" directory.

If you don't know how to control the game, of course it would be boring for you since you don't understand what's going on and how to play.

PS: anyway thank you for your detailed feedback, it's very appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                      X