Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New, Unique Linux Hardware Blog

Phoronix: A New, Unique Linux Hardware Blog

If you're a Linux enthusiast and/or a computer hardware enthusiast, a new blog has launched this morning that definitely should be of interest to you...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woo more auto generated crap with no analysis!

Comment

Yes, the blog contains autogenerated data, but something that just presents or summarises benchmarking data is fine. Indeed, it's probably more useful a data source for other people doing their own analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        +1
        +1
        +1
        +1
        +1

Comment

+1

(Stupid character limit)
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

There is nothing stopping anyone from digging deeper into the results. The highlighted results are from users testing out on the Internet. There are light bulb moments in a lot of them.

Note also, that performing in depth analysis is a high-effort undertaking, particularly when a lot of the people behind the technology don't like on the surface what the benchmarks show. For example, I contacted both the Illumos and BSD guys about the Hyperthreading scalability collapse prior to the cross-os scalability comparison. Neither had anything to say.

I will be blogging on some of the investigation on some of the more interesting results.

Comment

Please help people make use of openbenchmarking.org

At the moment I feel, that I don't know what to do with test results.

Could you please blog about, how openbenchmarking could help me find the right laptop for me. Maybe right a typical scenario: guy want a new laptop, with decent graphics, good working camera, etc. How con openbenchmarking help him, find this laptop?

Comment

Originally posted by rockiger View Post
                At the moment I feel, that I don't know what to do with test results.

Could you please blog about, how openbenchmarking could help me find the right laptop for me. Maybe right a typical scenario: guy want a new laptop, with decent graphics, good working camera, etc. How con openbenchmarking help him, find this laptop?
                Well, I don't know about getting a new laptop, but I did try to use it for looking at benchmark results of Unigine Heaven and see if my own card is similar (sadly, not much there yet for a radeon3650 with fglrx). The reasons were, I wanted to know if a) my system was setup properly, and b) maybe it would show if OilRush would run ok (though I hope it's not as hardware heavy a game).
                Bear in mind that they're still setting it up, but it will be useful in knowing which hardware is a good choice for your own purposes, and perhaps for developers to know what kind of hardware they should be targetting. The more test results are added to the database, the better informed people can be.

That's my take on it all anyway.

Comment

To be clear I think openbenchmarking.org is awesome.

It solves the problem of getting data about Linux hardware.
                  But I think it is not easy for a newbee to make the right decision.

Comment

Yes, "easy mode" will definitely boost popularity.
                    Seeing how windows is popular, it just most of population don't have glue of alternative or dislike details.

How about:
                    1) "Searching for new hardware?" [Button]
                    2) "Select type" [multiselect mulitchoice]: cpu, gpu, mb, controller etc(lookup on newegg, or geizhals.at)
                    3) "Set criteria" [multiselect]:
                    [ ] Available to buy
                    [ ] Confirmed to work
                    [ ] Phoronix tested
                    [ ] Set software versions [droplist]
                    4) browse results with (sort by number of tests, sort by ratings, sort by overall performance
                    ...5) possible shopping recommendations

That would definately add value to non-techies(80% of us, but 10% of connected population)

Comment

Working...
                    X