GeForce 8800GTX / 8800GTS Linux Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce 8800GTX / 8800GTS Linux Preview

Last June NVIDIA had successfully introduced the GeForce 7 series by launching the G70 7800GTX 256MB. As we had shared in a number of Phoronix articles (one, two, three, four), the GNU/Linux performance was initially hampered due to a 3D clocking issue within the NVIDIA 1.0-7667 display drivers (it was later corrected in August). The 1.0-7667 drivers, however, were provided on the same day as the 7800GTX launch. Last year we had also seen the launch of ATI's Radeon X1000 series. However, the GNU/Linux support for the X1000 series was not even added until this past spring, and at that time the performance had suffered miserably (ATI Radeon X1800 Linux Preview) compared against the Windows Catalyst display drivers and NVIDIA GeForce parts running under GNU/Linux. The Radeon performance continues to suffer under GNU/Linux as we had noted in our recent Q4'06 X1000 Examination. NVIDIA today is looking to trump ATI once again as they launch the eighth generation of their GeForce graphics cards. The GeForce 7800 and 7900 series already pound the Radeon X1000 parts under GNU/Linux, and with the GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS this disparity will only increase.
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No results in this article (we weren't aware that a new driver would be launched today), so the technical details and various Linux thoughts are shared in this article. GNU/Linux 8800 benchmarks to come soon.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Although it had no benchmarks it was a good write up. Thanks :-).

I will be buying a mid to high range 8000 series card when UT2007/ET:Quake Wars come out.

Comment

Originally posted by siti View Post
      Although it had no benchmarks it was a good write up. Thanks :-).

I will be buying a mid to high range 8000 series card when UT2007/ET:Quake Wars come out.
      Quake Wars is also the next game I'm looking forward to. I just recently bought an 8800 GTS (mostly for this game), and I'm also looking forward to the review here.

It's definitely time that the Linux community has a hardware-centric site like this one, and I'm very pleased with what I've read and seen here so far. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Unreal Tournament 2007 is going to break all current systems...the graphics on that thing alone is insane, not to mention physics, A.I. etc.

Comment

I'll end up upgrading to the 8k series after there is an update to the line, kinda like the 7900 upgrade to the 7800 series. Currently the price/performance ratio of the 8800GTS doesn't seem to be all that enticing, and neither is spending upwards of $600 on the 8800GTX model. I may fit the description of an 'enthusiast' but I do know the value of a dollar.

Comment

Well, I for one am completely excited. I just sold my X1900XT and my new 8800GTS is on the truck for delivery.....If you dual-boot like I do and play games on windows, you will appreciate the performance they provide. The better Linux support over ATI/AMD is just icing on the cake to me.

Comment

Working...
            X