ATI or Nvidia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully this is not thread hi-jacking

I have an Asus P5W DH board which has 2x16x PCI-e slots. When I built the computer, I bought an X1900XT 256MB card, and I am for the most part very happy with it. I enjoy CS:S, so I would like to have decent performance, but I have to agree that Nvidia works better on Linux. My question is this: How difficult would it be if I decided to keep my ATI for the main card and used my 2nd slot ONLY for Linux? It would be easy to disable the Nvidia 2nd slot card in Windows, but I'm not sure how I would go about setting up the Xorg config file. Anyone tried this or see a problem with it?

Comment

From the ASUS P5W DH BIOS are you able to disable either of the PCI Express slots? If so, then it would easy to disable one of the slots.

If you only want to use one of the cards in Linux, just have a device section for that card in xorg.conf and don't worry about the other card.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yeah, that's what I mean - I want to have both cards AVAILABLE to the computer, but for windows I want to use the ATI, and for Linux I want to use the Nvidia. I'm just not sure how to go about the xorg config settings. I guess once you run the Nvidia installer and it configures xorg.conf, you can safely remove all mentions of the ATI card?

Comment

Yes, after you set the system up for NVIDIA you can delete ATI references.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by afterburntdw View Post
            Yeah, that's what I mean - I want to have both cards AVAILABLE to the computer, but for windows I want to use the ATI, and for Linux I want to use the Nvidia. I'm just not sure how to go about the xorg config settings. I guess once you run the Nvidia installer and it configures xorg.conf, you can safely remove all mentions of the ATI card?
            I don't see this being a problem for Linux, and now that I think about it I guess it wouldn't be a problem in Windows either (although I haven't tried it). There are two things here that would rule it out for me though: 1)Having to switch the monitor cable at each OS change and 2)Always having one card that isn't doing anything except blocking airflow in my case. I would bite the bullet and just go with whichever works best considering both OS environments.

Comment

Originally posted by afterburntdw View Post
              Hopefully this is not thread hi-jacking

I have an Asus P5W DH board which has 2x16x PCI-e slots. When I built the computer, I bought an X1900XT 256MB card, and I am for the most part very happy with it. I enjoy CS:S, so I would like to have decent performance, but I have to agree that Nvidia works better on Linux. My question is this: How difficult would it be if I decided to keep my ATI for the main card and used my 2nd slot ONLY for Linux? It would be easy to disable the Nvidia 2nd slot card in Windows, but I'm not sure how I would go about setting up the Xorg config file. Anyone tried this or see a problem with it?
              You have to physically disable the card in the "first" PCIe slot or else you will not see anything on the monitor until the OS loads the GPU drivers. Before that, the BIOS determines the graphics adapter to output the boot-up screens on.

If I were you, just install the ATi Linux drivers and use the x1900XT under Linux. The drivers are pretty decent- I run an x1900GT under Gentoo 2006.1 AMD64 and am happy with it. Or else you can always just run the ATi card with the generic 2D "radeon" driver. You do not need to get another card to use Linux on your box and I think that it would not be the panacea you seek.

Comment

I am thinking of buying a new computer. I'd like to ask the original question again, in light of the phoronix article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=611&num=9 ?

While nVidia are good, I don't think they are all roses... e.g. they haven't implemented the AIGLX extension - they've written their own.

So should I go with nVidia or ATi?

Comment

NVIDIA hands down dude, even more so if you do any CAD work etc. ATI's "solutions" are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by erlend View Post
                    I am thinking of buying a new computer. I'd like to ask the original question again, in light of the phoronix article: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=611&num=9 ?

While nVidia are good, I don't think they are all roses... e.g. they haven't implemented the AIGLX extension - they've written their own.

So should I go with nVidia or ATi?
                    If you're not after the best graphics card, the ATI Radeon graphics cards up to the Radeon X850 series have reliable open-source support and with AIGLX. But if you're interested in any Quake 4 or other demanding games, it won't be suffice at this time.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X